In lamest term, what is the difference between multi-domain and domain mapping? I have both plugins but they seem so similar to me.
1. I own several domain names (such as site1.com, site2.com and site3.com).
2. With the multi-domain plugin, I am able to setup a wordpress mu that handles each domain separately (site1.com, site2.com and site3.com)
3. On the flip-side, with the domain mapping plugin, I able to achieve the same effect (site1.com/site1/, site1.com/site2/ and site1.com/site3/), by cleaning up clean the URL (site1.com, site2.com and site3.com) to reflect the same thing as #2. The only difference is that site2 and site3 is under site1.com.
4. As you can see this can be very confusing if both multi-domain and domain mapping can achieve the same outcome.
5. When do you use site1.com and site2.com vs site1.com/site2 and then use domain mapping to clean up the URL to site1.com and site2.com?
6. Overall, what is the best practice and when do use what method in order to achieve the best outcome.
7. Better yet can we break down both multi-domain and domain mapping and when to use them in what situation. I need to understand these methods.