Multi-domain with sub directory setup

I have read some where that multi-domain does not work well with sub directory setup. I wanted to know what exactly is that which does not work well?

I would not be using domain mapping and need to setup a network with 3 sub domains added as multi-domain with the network spanned on multiple sub sites in directories for each sub-domain.

So here is what I have in my mind
sub-domains under multi domain plugin pointed to the sub-directory multi-site install using A record.

sub-domain.abc.com
sub-domain.def.com
sub-domain.ghi.com

My network of sites will grow like this.

sub-domain.abc.com/site1, sub-domain.abc.com/site2, sub-domain.abc.com/site3
sub-domain.def.com/site4, sub-domain.def.com/site5, sub-domain.def.com/site6
sub-domain.ghi.com/site7, sub-domain.ghi.com/site8, sub-domain.ghi.com/site9

I do not need to use domain mapping as I do not plan to point any other subdomain/domain to this network. So I want to know what problem I could be facing using multi-domain on a sub-directory install?

Thanks!

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey @chodhry,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Multi-Domains plugins is intended to work only with sub-domain and not sub-folder installations as stated in plugin usage page.

Let me ping developer @Sam in here so he can give us some more details about your question.
    Please note that, developer response might be slower than usual staff response, so we appreciate your patience on this.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey chodry,

I think you could give it a try. From the Multi-Domains "in plugin" description:

or example you can allow a user to run a site at domain1.com/blogname, domain2.com/blogname and so on - all on this one Multisite install.

I think that the idea here is that main install should be at (sub)domain rather than subdirectory. If your main site would be located for example at yourdomain.com/network1 then sub-sites URLs would be like yuordomain.com/network1/subsite1 etc. This will certainly not work.

With setup like network1.yourdomain.com/subsite1 I think it should work, at least according to the aforementioned description. However, let's wait for @Sam to confirm (or, hopefully not, deny) to be sure.

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.