Multi-domains - add a new site to root

Hello,

I'm running a multisite on example1.com, and I have a few sites running underneath this domain (*.example1.com). I have added a new domain, example2.com, but when trying to create a new site without a subdomain (I want to create it at the root domain), I get 'invalid name'.

How can I create a site running on example2.com ?

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Anders!

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

There are some things to consider before using Multi-Domains, so please make sure that all these requirements are fulfilled:

1. It may take some time for DNS system to propagate domains' settings across the web. Usually it happens in up to 48 hours but there are many cases where it takes even up to 72 hours;

2. Make sure that those additional domains all point to the proper IP: it should be the same dedicated IP

3. If you added those domains to your cPanel, make sure that they are added as parked (instead of add-on) domains

4. Make also sure that the virtual host for your WordPress site is set properly: if you type your site's IP address directly into the browser bar it should load the main site of your Multisite Network; if this doesn't work you may need to get in touch with your host and ask them to set this up.

Please also make sure that you actually do use a dedicated IP for your site.

Let me know please if that helped.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Anders!

Thank you for your response and for sharing the screenshot. This actually is extremely helpful.

Let me first explain my confusion. Initially you referred to the "Multi-Domains" plugin in your post but you assigned it to the "Domain Mapping" plugin. After reading your question I re-assigned the post to the "Multi-Domains" plugin and also the screenshot confirms that you're using a "Multi-Domains" plugin.

However, what you wish to achieve is not possible with this plugin. "Multi-Domains" is a way for your to choose under which of available (added) domains the new site - and a sub-domain - should be created.

For example: there's a "domainA.com" and "domainB.com" added to the site so I can create my own site as a "adam.domainA.com" or "adam.domainB.com" site.

In order to be able to use top-level domains for new sites in a Multisite environment you'll need a Domain Mapping plugin instead. You'll find it here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

Once it's installed and configured the workflow is like this:

- you create a new sub-site under a sub-domain of your main domain
    - then you map a new top-level domain to that newly created sub-site

Please note though: you shouldn't try to map domain that are already added to the "Multi-Domains".

I hope that makes sense :slight_smile: If you have any further questions, let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.