I am a new user and I work for a young small foundation based in (French-speaking)
Switzerland called Ynternet.org.
Our activities are focused on North-South cooperation through the Net.
We run a community website (cooperation.net) dedicated to Ethics and
social development; it’s open to any kind of members but mainly
targeted at French-speaking (African) countries.
Now, we aren’t satisfied with our (home-made) CMS engine and we
are seriously considering switching to BuddyPress.
However, during our tests we discovered that groups and users are
“shared” on the whole platform: there can only be one user called
“nina”, only one group called “admin” even if groups don’t have
relationships, except being in the same BP installation. For us, it’s
a blocking issue for migrating our current users to BP…
We have seen in forums that this need is widespread among the
community, but apparently there isn’t a plugin that can match our
So our questions are:
1) Do you know a plug-in that could “just do it” out-of-the-box?
2) Do you know if someone (individual or group) is developing such a
3) Is it possible to code such a plugin? Or does it mean modifying
4) Do you have an (raw) estimation of how much it would cost to create
this plug-in? How much time does it require?
5) If necessary, who can develop this plug-in? Who could take part in
sharing this project’s costs? Perhaps some of your clients?
Thank you for your advices