Multi-domains: offering the same alternative domains on different networks?

Hi,

If I have two different instances of Wordpress Multisite running on the same server (for example network1.example.com and network2.example.com), can I offer the same list of alternative domains on both networks?

Thank you

Laurent

• Lorange

Just to clarify:

John creates a blog in network1.example.com. Default address for his blog would be : john.network1.example.com

Michael creates a blog in network2.example.com. Default address for his blog would be : michael.network2.example.com

I would like to offer on both networks the alternative domain "cooldomain.com". Expected result would be: john.cooldomain.com and michael.cooldomain.com. is that correct? Will that work like this?

• aecnu

Greetings Lorange :slight_smile:

in your example above the first thing I notice that may cause you significant problems in the future if not already is that you are showing subdomains of subdomains i.e. john.network1.example.com instead of the correct john.example.com

The problem with your alternative network theory is that DNS for cool domain cannot support both network dedicated IP's - if they have separate IP's

You may accomplish this by using round robin DNS:
    http://ntrg.cs.tcd.ie/undergrad/4ba2.01/group8/DNS.html

which is also a form of round robin DNS which to some degree offers load balancing.

Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings Lorange :slight_smile:

I have 10 IP's for my dedicated server and I gave a legitimate solution.

Second to the best of my knowledge you cannot have duplicate domains running reliably period nor on different MS networks on the same IP due to normal DNS limitations.

One MS install will recognize the domain (the one it was created on i.e. john.cooldomain.com and the second will return 404) unless the domains are actually duplicated in each install. But the client can only use one at a time.

But then it is hit and miss which MS install is in control of the domain and if John sets up his site on ms install 1 and then gets shifted to MS install 2 where his site does not exist ..... 404 or 503

It is my opinion that MS 1 and MS 2 would need to be exact mirrors of each other to work correctly and reliably.

Joe :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hi Lorange.

My question is: Can I use the Multi-Domains plugin to offer the same alternative domains on different multisite networks?

How would you envisage one network knowing that the other has taken a domain?

As far as I'm aware, one site in one network is independent from a site of a similar name in another network:

site1.network1.com
    site1.network2.com

They are both separate sites and I'm sure that at the moment you can't automatically check and offer the site on another network in the same install. And they can't be linked.

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers

Hi Lorange.

This is one of my questions. I thought about sharing a table between the different networks. But which table? And is that supported by Wordpress (wp-config?)?

I kind of mean the whole thing, the front end, the back end, etc.

The addresses are already in the database. I'm not sure what the plans are for this plugin at the moment, but something like this could be a very cool addition. I think if a full idea could be mapped out and enough people added their +1 to this then it could help gain traction.

At the moment it isn't possible.

But it is a +1 from me. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.