Multi-domains with Domain Mapping, what's the nature of domain naming and network plugins?

Hi,
I have three multisites, with many sub-sites (sub-domains) mapped to external domains using the domain mapping plugin. I want to combine all three sites into one site and use the multi-domain plugin to run three businesses. To preface my questions, let's say we have a main-site (main.com) for the multisite network and two sub-sites (biz1.main.com and biz2.main.com). Further, biz1.main.com is mapped to biz1.com and biz2.main.com is mapped to biz2.com. Questions:
1. When client creates a sub-site on biz1.com (client.biz1.com), is his sub-domain name client.biz1.com or client.biz1.main.com, or client.main.com?
2. Assuming the answer to #1 is client.biz1.com, can I still map client.biz1.com to domain client.com?
3. If I want to change a client site from biz1.com to biz2.com or to main.com, can that be done?
4. Does the multi-domains plugin change the nature of access to themes, plugins and user roles, etc. or are they still managed the same as under the network or site-by-site?
5. I use the Pro Sites plugin. Can it be used with different settings for each of the three businesses – main.com, biz1.com and biz2.com or is it limited to just the main network site (main.com) with settings recursive to the other two businesses?
6. Will the network plugins like global posts and global comments still bring content from biz1.com and biz2.com to the network site, main.com?
7. Will an SSL certificate (multi-domain) have any problems with the multi-domain plugin, as long as sites are created as https://domain.com or https://sub-domain.domain.com?

I know this is a lot. I just don't want to jump with major changes and not be happy at the other end.

Thanks so much!
Chuck S.

• Michael Bissett

#1: client.main.com, you wouldn't be making subsites off of subsites here.

If you're wanting biz1.com & biz2.com to be starting points for subsites (e.g. client.biz1.com, client.biz2.com), you'll need to use our Multi-Domains plugin to offer one of those as domains to sign up for (albeit, they would be would be done on the registration form for the main site, so if you're looking for separation, you'd be better off keeping the three Multisites separate).

#3: Technically, though it would require you to delete the subsite, and then recreate it on one of the other networks.

#4: Nope, doesn't change that. :slight_smile:

#5: The settings would apply to all three businesses.

#6: They should, yes. :slight_smile:

#7: It shouldn't, though I would like to ask, when you say you're looking for a "multi-domain" SSL certificate, are you referring to a UCC certificate?

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• ChuckS

Great answers! Very helpful. So, basically, all accounts belong to the main network, but the multi-domain plugin lets clients select alternate domains to register as. Other than that, everything should work just as a regular multisite network.

Good question on the certificate. I see certificates for 1 domain and unlimited sub-domains called SSL Wildcard certificates. That begs the question, the one domain would be the main network site (main.com), will mapped domains to the sub-domains also be incorporated under the certificate? Biz1.main.com would be as a sub-domain, but would biz1.com mapped to biz1.main.com be included?

• Ivan

Hey Chuck,

Sorry for the huge delay here.

So, basically, all accounts belong to the main network, but the multi-domain plugin lets clients select alternate domains to register as. Other than that, everything should work just as a regular multisite network.

That's correct.

You should be able to use up to around 99 domain names if you are using UUC certificate.
    To be hinest I haven't used that, so it always a good to ask your provider what you can do and what you can't with your certificate before purchasing.

Cheers,
    Ivan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.