Multi languages – correct URL format for SEO

Hi

We are using WPML for multi languages and when we were first setting up Memberships, we had some issues which resulted in your advice that we should set the URL format in WPML to http://oursite.com?lang=xyz

It now seems that this could be counter productive, as we are now having issues with Google not properly seeing our other languages. Please see this link for more info, including the table at the bottom of the page titled “URL Structures”;

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/182192

URL parameters site.com?loc=de

Not recommended.

URL-based segmentation difficult

Users might not recognize geotargeting from the URL alone

Geotargeting in Search Console is not possible

Wonder if we can safely change back to a recommended URL format and deal with any resultant issues if any, with Memberships but would appreciate your advice first.

Regards,

Paul

• BizE
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Jude

At the moment, access is set for another one of your colleagues looking at a different issue – shall I revoke that and reset it?

As we really must get Google SEO running right, perhaps we should just make the URL change now to “oursite.com/wyx” and just see what happens? We are not trading yet, so it won’t be a critical matter.

Regards

Paul

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey BizE, Michael here.

Trying to get up to speed here, I get that the URL structure isn’t optimal (given what Google mentions), and I get that you’re wanting to use the subdirectory structure.

Is your question related to the checkout functionality within Membership 2 Pro, whether it’ll work with WPML, when configured to use a subdirectory structure? I’ve just tried testing this with duplicate of the registration page (I chose Russian as the language), and was able to sign up for a free membership, so that works.

The Registration Complete page would seem to be the wrinkle here, tried cracking that nut, but found that I needed to use the default English Registration Complete page in the end. This would look to be a case where custom development would be required.

Kind Regards,

Michael

• BizE

Hello Michael

Yes, your email and findings are correct and we found exactly the same – when trying to register in any language other than default English, the user is returned to English. I note your final comments . . .

“The Registration Complete page would seem to be the wrinkle here, tried cracking that nut, but found that I needed to use the default English Registration Complete page in the end . . . “

but isn’t this a functionality fault within the plugin, which is supposed to be WPML compatible? Perhaps maybe a definitive comment from the M2 developer is appropriate as whilst I am not averse to custom development to extend functionality, it doesn’t seem good practise that we start trying to fix existing plugin code – if for instance it has already been reported and is on the plugin developer’s roadmap for fixing.

As this is not the only issue we have with M2, we would be reluctant to stop using it as in most ways it looks great, but without a clear idea of how to progress this and the other acknowledged issues, unfortunately we may have to.

Looking forward to your further comment.

Thanks & regards,

Paul

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Howdy Paul

I have gone ahead and requested comments from the lead dev on the subject like you asked for. He should be posting here shortly.

Also I’d be happy to look in to the other issues you mentioned with the plugin if you can point me towards the ticket/right direction :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jude

• BizE

Hello Jude

1. Thank you for the update and we look forward to seeing an update from the developer. As requested, please find below the additional M2 items that we still have open or on our roadmap.

2. We are still awaiting feedback /advice on the final part of this ticket;

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/addshoppers-social-sharing-configuring-with-memberships/

3. Roadmap. We would like to capture user Language, Country, State info on M2 Registration page + record in WordPress / Mailchimp databases

4. These tickets for functionality improvement have either been noted or custom development advised;

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership2-pro-and-multiple-currencies/

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/automated-emails-configure-template-send-details

5. To conclude, we think M2 is a great plugin and as already noted by your Team in our previous suggestions for functionality improvement, can become even better still. As such, we are reluctant to use 3rd party Custom Development, if the M2 developers already have a roadmap for planned new features, which perhaps could be shared with the WPMUDEV community users?

So finally, if cost is a factor, we would be happy to have a conversation with the M2 developers about contributing to Roadmap / Custom Development work to ensure M2 functionality can be improved more speedily.

Thanks & look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards, Paul

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey BizE, Michael here, my apologies for the delay on this!

Our developers have been busy (and one of them hasn’t been feeling well), but here’s the story as I know it:

#1: The WPML situation with that Registration Complete page is going to be looked into for the release after the one we’ve got coming up (there’s some other things that have been worked on, the WPML bug is something that’s going to require more time).

#2: I believe this is still being looked into, I am uncertain as to whether this is going to be part of the upcoming release or not.

#3: Which is something that’s going to require some amount of custom development, I do see where that could be handy, though. :slight_smile:

#4: True, and both would need more time to investigate. Developing features does take time, and developers can be working on more than one product at a time (the responsibilities of a developer can be many).

#5: I do not have such a roadmap (not to say that there isn’t one internally), and generally speaking, we don’t offer ETAs on features (folks have gotten upset about those in the past).

Kind Regards,

Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.