Multi-multi networks

Hi!

I recently purchased a second domain, to be a compliment to my main site. They will be two very niche social networks that I am hoping will compliment each other. Which is more reasonable for site traffic load and functionality?

- To keep the networks separate and otherwise integrate them?
- To join the networks via some wpmudev juju, and make the second a domain mapped 'thingie' with it's own separate functions, but still on a single Wordpress install?

Obviously, my use of the word 'thingie' should readily reveal my lack of experience in these concepts. Thus, your patience is very appreciated! Thank you in advance!

• Luís

Hi Fox Wilde ,

Hope you're doing well today!

I think it will depend on the site concepts and the requirements of each one. WordPress Multisite have a lot of benefits, all the features are shared, your user base is shared for all sites and some plugins allows cross features between them.

However, sometimes, based on what we want to do with the sites, it can not be the right choice, if you want to keep them totally separated, maybe the best option should be use a regular/single install for each one.

Before you make a decision, I think you should get more information about the differences between WordPress Multisite and a single/regular installation:

http://www.hyperarts.com/blog/wordpress-multisite-pros-cons-when-is-multisite-the-right-choice/

http://blogpros.com/blog/2015/10/the-pros-and-cons-wordpress-multisite-managewp

If you can give us more details about the requirements, we can help you better in this decision.

Cheers, Luís

• Fox Wilde

Thank you for your reply! I can understand how my explanation was confusing! There are three purposes I am trying to accomplish.

1. I am creating a multi-network to generate profiles for, say, artists.
    2. I am creating another multi-network, likely buddypress, for potential fans.
    3. I am creating a hub for the aggregate feeds generated by the artists, so that fans and non-subscribers in general can access it all.

The best way I can figure out to do it is to create two sites, on two separate domains (and two separate hosting plans on my hosting provider) broken down in the following manner:

1. The buddypress multi-network, for fans.
    2. The other multi-network, with the aggregate feed hub as the front page.

My reasons for doing this, while likely baseless and uninformed are the following:

1. I want to keep my login processes separate, for artists and fans.
    2. I realize that these groups of subscribers and subsequent profiles will not only grow at potentially very different rates, but the end result for one may be in the hundreds... whereas the end result for the other may be in the tens of thousands (here's hoping, right? hahaha), so I may potentially need two different servers... or some type of 'partition' I'm not thinking clearly about.

My considerations are the following:

1. While these are separate "things", they are supposed to be part of the same "network of sites". Since all social aspects will converge, so too should the tech.
    2. I don't understand yet if the above-described is possible with two separate operating networks.
    3. Additionally, I don't know if I'm overthinking this, and a single multi-network could easily handle this, provided I had a good dedicated server.
    4. Perhaps I am still failing to grasp the robustness of Wordpress, and the plugins afforded by Wpmudev.

I look forward to being set straight, and thank you in advance for your patience!

• James Morris

Hello Fox Wilde,

I hope you are well today. This is a very interesting concept you are working on and I do believe that WordPress multisite is up to the task. Yes, I believe you will need a fairly robust server in order to accomplish this, depending on your user base, but with the proliferation of cloud servers that can scale based on needs, this is not a complicated matter.

I'm going to try to address each of your points so we can best come up with a solution for you. :slight_smile:

1. I am creating a multi-network to generate profiles for, say, artists.
    2. I am creating another multi-network, likely buddypress, for potential fans.

This is perfect for multisites. Using the BuddyPress plugin, you have the ability to have profiles across the entire network. There's no need to run 2 sites. The permissions systems built into WordPress and these plugins can control access as needed.

3. I am creating a hub for the aggregate feeds generated by the artists, so that fans and non-subscribers in general can access it all.

Again, this is perfect for multisites because you have the option to display the latest feeds from all network sites on the primary network site.

1. I want to keep my login processes separate, for artists and fans.

Depending on the level of interaction you want between artists and fans, you may be better off to simply use Ultimate Facebook. This allows visitors to comment using their Facebook profile as a login mechanism. Thus, keeping the user accounts separate and reducing load on the server.

That being said and considering this...

2. I realize that these groups of subscribers and subsequent profiles will not only grow at potentially very different rates, but the end result for one may be in the hundreds... whereas the end result for the other may be in the tens of thousands (here's hoping, right? hahaha), so I may potentially need two different servers... or some type of 'partition' I'm not thinking clearly about.

WordPress and BuddyPress can scale to 10s of thousands of users. This topic on Quora give a good indication of exactly how large this platform can scale. https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-largest-online-community-that-is-running-BuddyPress

Additionally, I don't know if I'm overthinking this, and a single multi-network could easily handle this, provided I had a good dedicated server.

As a general rule of thumb when developing sites, I find the K.I.S.S. method to be most appropriate. Keep It Stupid Simple. In other words, use as little as you can to achieve the desired results. The fewer components you need to accomplish the task, the better. This ensures enhanced security, improved performance, future sustainability, and ease of maintenance.

My recommendation would be a single multisite install with BuddyPress or Ultimate Facebook, Hummingbird, Smush Pro and Defender as your starting point. As you determine what you future needs are, we can advise as to what would be the best direction to go.

As far as servers go, one good dedicated cloud server is going to run you less in the long run than 2 moderate servers. The reason for this is the economics of scale. The larger you go, generally the less it costs. If you go with a cloud platform that allows you to allocate more resources on the fly, you can actually get a fairly modest setup to start with and scale it on the fly as your needs dictate. Many services will automatically do this and will only charge you for the resources used.

I hope this clarifies a bit more. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.