Multi-Network or Multisite for domain mapping

Hello,

I want to self host myself on a my server with a dedicated IP. Can I install WPMU domain mapping on top of Wordpress 4.6 instead of WP MU ?

Do I need WP Multi-Network ?

Is there any implied hosting service tied to use of WPMU plugins or am I free to self host myself and the 50$ per month is like a support service and NOT a hosting service ?

Why is it that WPMU plugins don't show as installablw plugins from within wordpress ?

F.

• Rupok

Hi Francois, thanks for asking.

Can I install WPMU domain mapping on top of Wordpress 4.6 instead of WP MU

Did you mean this plugin by mentioning WP MU? Yes. You can use WPMU Domain Mapping on top of WordPress 4.6 Multisite.

Is there any implied hosting service tied to use of WPMU plugins or am I free to self host myself and the 50$ per month is like a support service and NOT a hosting service ?

There is no restriction on hosting. You can host your site anywhere you want and our plugins will work fine as long as WordPress runs perfectly there. Your monthly subscription fee is charged for using our Premium Plugins and dedicated 24X7 support for anything related with WordPress. This doesn't include hosting service. But we provide 10GB space for each users to store their site backups through our Snapshot plugin. If you want to check status of that space, go to This URL after logging in our site. The click on any of your registered domains and go to "Backups" tab. There you can see the status of your backup storage. You have to have Snapshot plugin installed on that site to avail this facility.

Why is it that WPMU plugins don't show as installablw plugins from within wordpress ?

Because our plugins are premium plugins and not free. We have many free plugins which appear as installable plugin from within WordPress Plugins section like this one: WP Smush - Image Optimization . But our free plugins are not as powerful as our premium plugins.

If you install our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, then you can install all our premium plugins from within your WordPress Dashboard.

Please let us know if you have any confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Francois

Do I meant to say the WPMUG Domain Mapping plugin. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

Where can I find release notes and compatibility notices with the latest version of Wordpress ?

Wordpress.org does a fine job at scaring people away from using WP MU by stating
    https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

Compatible up to: 4.0.12
    Last Updated: 2 years ago

You would normally understand being on WP 4.6 to say away from WP MU as being last updated two years ago and being incompatible with the latest version of Wordpress.

However back to WPMUDEV Domain Mapping. Since what I am debating is the value of subscribing and making use of the plugin.

My biggest other grief is my partial success with mapping domain names to subdomain sites using the WP Multi-Network v1.8.1 plugin. It is UBER-undocumented. I do not need per se multi-network at this time. I'd rather be on a well supported multisite environment with properly supported domain mapping capabilities and it also seems Wordpress.org (especially JJJ) is scaring people away from using Domain Mapping in favour of his undocumented Multi-Network. For instance, just trying to understand how to create a Super Admin user over a 'Network Admin' user is really hard. How do heck am I supposed to do this ?

So my question regarding WPMUDEV. Do you need to have WP Multi Network installed in order to have a functional Multisite with Domain Mapping ? I guess not. But if you do have WP Multi Network installed as well as Multisite as well as WPMUDEV Domain Mapping, what is the role of the WP Multi Network inherent 'Domain Mapping'-to-network capability ?

Finally, what pisses me the most is the fact that as soon as I try replacing with just the TLD (domain.tld) an entry that use to be 'machine-name.domain.tld' inside the WP Multi Network 1.1 domain name, then all hell completely breaks loose and I have to completely reset the wordpress database.

I'm sorry, but WP Multi-Network v1.1 is so undocumented that JJJ should not steer people to use it and something should be written (which I am doing) on a public post, which states clearly the matters of affairs.

1) If you do not need multiple networks
    2) and you want to use Wordpress 4.6
    3) and you want to use Domain Mapping
    4) on top of a Multisite network

then Yes! Apparently, this is possible with WPMUDEV's Domain Mapping plugin.
    and Screw WP Multi Network v1.8.1 unless you need multiple networks.

So what is WPMUDEV's position on WP Multi Network v1.8.1 ?

F.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Francois,

Do I meant to say the WPMUG Domain Mapping plugin. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

Where can I find release notes and compatibility notices with the latest version of Wordpress ?

All this is on the project page you linked

As you can see: WordPress Multisite 4.6

So what is WPMUDEV's position on WP Multi Network v1.8.1 ?

There is no guarantee that our plugins will work on Multi Network. Our Multisite plugins are tested on Multisites not Multi Networks, so we can only say we support Multsites.

So - our Domain Mapping will work fine on Multisite WordPress 4.6. It might not work with Multi Network as this solution is not supported.

Let me know if you have more questions.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.