We've seen that similar questions have come across the following scenario(s) on the forum, however we cannot find any complete proposal/solution for multi-region websites.
Our current challenge scenario is the following:
We need to create a site (containing WooCommerce products) that will be available in several languages, and has to have country specific content.
We have WPML, which is very useful for multi-lingual sites, but not multi-region.
1) A product that is available for sale in USA, must have USD currency, and needs to be available in English and Spanish (no issue implementing this).
2) The same product needs to appear in Spain, in Spanish, but different description (instead of lb, it needs to be KG, instead of inches, in centimeters) and be in EUR currency instead of USD
3) Some products will be available in USA, but will not be available in Spain. A message should appear "This product is not available in your country, go to US store instead"
4) The product reviews, should be available (and translatable) for all languages and regions: product "A" could have a review in English, and will be displayed in the product available in English, Spanish; Spanish-USA and Spanish-Spain
5) Content "duplication" concerns us: page "A" will have (almost) the same content in Spanish-USA as Spanish-Spain (except for inches and CM, etc). Will Google penalize us for this?
6) Depending on the user's location, he/she should be redirected to the country specific page/product, or:
6a) have a country&language&"remember my settings" selector as entry page (if GeoIP is not available (or user would like to choose his/her custom country). A lightbox popup would be optimal for this.
Many options from scenario A make us consider multisite, as it would solve "most" of our issues (also stock management, taxes per country, shipping classes, etc). However, we cannot figure out:
7) a way of duplicating the content across the sub-sites (pages can be converted into templates, and duplicated, so that's ok): how can we duplicate products-comments-sidebars-sliders across the country specific sub-sites
8) how do we geo IP content on a regular server? and how do we mark each site/product as country specific?
9) how to we keep track of changes? i.e. product/page "A" is changed in Spanish in the USA sub-site, how do we keep track of pending changes/translations in the Spanish sub-site.
10) Bonus: To make things a little more complicated, we'll need to have each sub-site on a different, geographically based server for latency purposes (i.e. de.example.com in Germany, us.example.com in USA, etc). But I believe this option is not possible at all, as there's only 1 DB for all sub-sites.
Thanks for reading (whoever got to the end) and looking very much forward, and thanking for your suggestions!