Multi Server - Multi Site

Currently my server is running a single multisite installation with numerous sites. With the continued growth of the network and the fact that said multisite was not setup correctly and configured properly from the start i'm looking to spread the sites out to different servers so it is not so much of a strain on just one server. I have gone the route of using amazon as a CDN and it helps but not enough. What I am looking to do is have one server: http://www.mydomain.com as the network controller and have a group of 100 sites on server: s1.mydomain.com and another group of 100 on server: s2.mydomain.com ect... Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. I have been tossing around the idea of using Multi-Network plugin but am unsure if that will work.

• Timothy Bowers

I really think the best suggestion would be to hire yourself a decent system administrator to configure a server real good.

EduBlogs.org powers some 1.2+ million blogs over 5 servers, that 2 MySQL servers and 3 file servers.

So your site shouldn't be having an issue on a decent single server with 100k websites.

Ultimately it could save you a fortune on hardware costs as they are ongoing monthly costs.

Even though the site might not have been setup correctly it would be worth going through the DB and files correcting any past mistakes to help with future hardware demands.

Our Multi DB plugin can spread DB load over multiple databases:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-db

You could also speak with a system admin about load balancing.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

• mmedia

I really think the best suggestion would be to hire yourself a decent system administrator to configure a server real good.

I am the system administrator and the server is configured as good could be expected. Relying on the dilapidated setup from before my time is like playing Jenga after a night of drinking Tequila.

EduBlogs.org powers some 1.2+ million blogs over 5 servers, that 2 MySQL servers and 3 file servers.

I was asking how... Not if I should. The sites run on the network in question are not simple blogs but full featured custom themes with high impact photography built on a network that is corrupt and shocking that it still works.

Even though the site might not have been setup correctly it would be worth going through the DB and files correcting any past mistakes to help with future hardware demands.

I have been going around and correcting past mistakes for well over a year and its getting old.

Our Multi DB plugin can spread DB load over multiple databases:

I am aware of this plugin and plan to use it.

You could also speak with a system admin about load balancing.

Load balancing is a waste of money if the site you are mirroring is on the brink of failure.

Thanks for taking a look though, I believe I might have a solution.

• SEA

Know the feeling, we've taken over a large install that is poorly setup, but piece by piece it getting better.

We solved it with a loadblancer based on varnish, 3 webbservers running nginx/php-fpm and a NFS cluster and a SAN.

The database cluster is two servers in master/master, not MySQL Galera, just regular mysql with displaced indexes.

We just implemented MultiDB as a way of sharing/loadbalancing/fail over cluster.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like to know more :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.