Multi-Site

Hello,

I have gone through and set up multi-sites on partner.fm to use sub-domains.

Have also installed the Pro-Sites and Domain Mapping plugins.

Have followed the Domain Mapping plugin instructions to the letter I believe.

On the DNS I have created an A record of *.partner.fm

When I create a site and attempt to go to its dashboard I keep getting the 404 error.

Basically I want the http://www.spasin.com domain to be working on spasin.partner.fm sub-domain.

Obviously missing doing something very simple but cannot see what, can you please help?

Kind regards,
Yusef

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Yusef,

I did a reverse IP on your domain and you do NOT have a dedicated IP as required for successful domain mapping:

Reverse IP Lookup Results—22 domains hosted on IP address 74.122.122.227
    Web Site
    affiliatenewbie.com
    aysen.co.uk
    bootsalebay.com

In addition, what kind of host is this that violates RFC regulations not having separate IP's for name servers?

Also when doing a single trace on this IP I come up with even more domains on it:
    db1.gseek.net

Attempt to get a DNS server for db1.gseek.net failed: db1.gseek.net does not exist in the DNS

Whatever this is, it is a mess.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• mroracle
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Joe,

It is my VPS server.

The domains all belong to me, though db1.gseek.net is a mystery I will now get to the bottom of.

I will pass on your comments to the hosting company and take it up with them.

Will post the outcome back here.

Thanks for your input has helped me move forward.

Kind regards,
    Yusef

• mroracle

Hi Joe,

I have resolved Multi-Site on the VPS server now and the Domain Mapping plugin is working as expected e.g. forgot.co is mapped to forgot.partner.fm

Without going into the issues I have with the WPMU Dev documentation can you please help me resolve the following:

When forgot.co is entered into the browser the URL in the browser changes to forgot.partner.fm

Basically this needs to stay as forgot.co

Do I use the Multi-Domain plugin or is there another method?

Kind regards,
    Yusef

• mroracle

Hello Joe,

Have resolved all of this and understand how it all works now.

For me the issue was with the cPanel which had not been set up to allow for wildcard sub-domains to be created.

Once this was done then everything started to work smoothly as expected.

Thanks for your help and your patience with my learning curve on this.

Kind regards,
    Yusef

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Yusef,

Thank you so kindly for the update on your progress and what the final solution was to resolving the anomalies.

I apologize for the delay, this last weeks release of WordPress 3.4 and Buddy Press 1.5.6 has thrown wrenches into the entire system to include members sites, it has been a hectic mess.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.