Multi site Additing existing subdomains to my network

I installed Multi Site for our main domain: CRGLOBE.global
I did this after we had built the main site and about 16 subdomains.
Do I understand correctly that I can add exiting subdomains to my network? If so then if you could direct me to the procedure need to do so.

Next question: I also understand that we can create New Domains for Multi Site. Do all the new domains created need to have the same ending as my original domain. Example: CRGLOBE.global is our main domain at present. Can I create a domain named: shoes.com. Or do all the domains I create need to be written like: shoes.crglobe.global.

Next question: If I were to purchase another domain name (for example: mechanics.co.uk) can I add this domain to my Multi-Site Network?
Thank you,
Lawrence

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Lawrence,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

I installed Multi Site for our main domain: CRGLOBE.global
    I did this after we had built the main site and about 16 subdomains.
    Do I understand correctly that I can add exiting subdomains to my network? If so then if you could direct me to the procedure need to do so.

When you say you had 16 subdomains before installing multisite does that mean you had 16 different WP installations?
    If you want those sites to be part of multisite network you'll need to move them to your network since multisite is one WP installation and all subsites are stored under one roof.
    You may check these guides for more help:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/migrating-multiple-blogs-into-wordpress-multisite/
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Migrating_Multiple_Blogs_into_WordPress_3.0_Multisite
    https://deliciousbrains.com/wp-migrate-db-pro/doc/exporting-single-site-as-subsite-for-multisite-install/

Next question: I also understand that we can create New Domains for Multi Site. Do all the new domains created need to have the same ending as my original domain. Example: CRGLOBE.global is our main domain at present. Can I create a domain named: shoes.com. Or do all the domains I create need to be written like: shoes.crglobe.global.

With multisite by default all your subsites will have either subsite.domain.com (multisite subdomain installation) or domain.com/subsite (multisite subfolder installation).
    If you want to have subsite.com as a URL for your subsite you will need to create new subsite subsite.domain.com first and then use plugin like Domain Mapping to map subsite.com to that subsite.

Next question: If I were to purchase another domain name (for example: mechanics.co.uk) can I add this domain to my Multi-Site Network?

This depends what would be the purpose of this domain, if it will be domain for one of your subsites then above answer applies and you can map it with Domain Mapping.
    However if you wish to use it as top level domain so you can create two subsites, subsite1.crglobe.global and subsite2.mechanics.co.uk then you will need to install and setup Multi-Domains plugin.

If you require any assistance with any of the above please make sure to keep your questions in separate threads unless the questions are closely related, it will help us keep better track of everything and make sure we don't miss any of your questions. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.