Multi-Site and Genesis Framework

I don't know what Multisite does...

Can you use one with Genesis Framework?

What does Multisite do especially well?
Will it allow me to create "user roles" so I can block "clients" from plugins and themes?

• aecnu

Greetings JosephLee1179,

Thank you for the great questions.

Can you use one with Genesis Framework?

Yes you can but be prepared for possible grief as framework themes do not generally handle integrations especially well unless the integration is custom coded into the framework itself.

What does Multisite do especially well?

Offers the ability to create multiple WordPress sub sites with a single WordPress installation and those sub sites can share the applicable themes and plugins that are within the MultiSite installation.

Will it allow me to create "user roles" so I can block "clients" from plugins and themes?

Natively no and not by roles as well, but with the addition of plugins like the Pro Sites plugin it will indeed allow you to control availability of plugins and themes available to sub site owners.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT upcoming week!

Cheers, Joe

• Micha

I know this is an old thread, but I felt the need to respond anyways. The comment about Genesis being difficult for multi-site is, in my opinion, dead wrong! It's no different than in a single site really.

I currently have about a have dozen or so multi-site networks I've built and manage all built on Genesis and it's incredibly smooth. Honestly, I find most other themes more of a pain simply because of the bloat in the coding of most themes out there.

Remember that when you have a multisite, you are sharing the same database across a large number of sites, so any optimization you can to in regards to theme and plugin load, the better. I find most themes out there have way too much code, many errors, and created too many database calls on page load. Genesis is the opposite and is pure bliss as a developer.