Multi-site data migration/sharing and mail merge

We are in the middle of a major renovation of our WordPress site from a single overburdened site to a network of 5 sites all on the same domain. We're having some issues getting the data from the original single site to migrate over and feed the 5 new sites.

Also, I would like to find a way to export the SQL data from the site into my computer, allowing us to mail merge data into Word documents and email them.

Big dreams can bring big rewards. Anyone have ideas?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey RUSS,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

We're having some issues getting the data from the original single site to migrate over and feed the 5 new sites.

I understand that you're now at a process of migrating 5 separate (single WP installs) sites into the sub-sites of your new MultiSite network. Is that right?

Our "Snapshot Pro" plugin should help you do this. Take a look here please:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

Steps to migrate sites would be as follows:

1. Install Snapshot Pro on each "single" site
    2. Create full snapshot of each site
    3. Install Snapshot Pro on your Multisite network (via "Network Admin")
    4. For each of the sites repeat these steps

a) download snapshot archive from "source" site
    b) upload it via FTP to "/wp-content/snapshots" folder of your Multisite install
    c) create a new, default sub-site in your MultiSite network
    d) go to "Snapshots -> Import" page on your Multisite network
    e) hit "Import/Scan" and archive should be imported
    f) got to "Snapshots -> All snapshots" on your Multisite network
    g) hit "Restore" below imported snapshot name
    h) it will ask you to select a sub-site to which data should be restored so select newly created sub-site, adjust other settings if necessary and proceed.

This way you should be able to import all separate sites to your MultiSite network as sub-sites.

Also, I would like to find a way to export the SQL data from the site into my computer, allowing us to mail merge data into Word documents and email them.

The best way to export WP database would be through phpMyAdmin tool which is most likely available through your server's management panel (e.g. cPanel). You will want to select database and then use "Export" option, selecting export to file.

Here's a handy video on exporting database that way:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnOE0KWHGkY

I hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Russ,

Did you have a look at Snapshot plugin Adam suggested?

This plugin allows you to select which database tables you want to export so it's actually possible to create multiple snapshots from one site and then import desired ones on your subsites.

If you have multiple custom post types on your current site you can also use default WP Import/Export tool to export only specific post type and then importing on your subsite, if you're looking for such solution.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.