I'm trying to set-up multiple Multi Site installs on one domain using sub-domains and want each multisite to use sub-domains not sub-directories, there is an existing Multi Site installed on the root currently that I hope to leave as is.
One source says not possible but a few sources infer possible. I think these are the steps but a few I'm fuzzy on:
1. Create sub-domains and corresponding wildcards in CPanel, one for each multisite install.
2. Upload and install regular WordPress in each sub-domain
3. Add this to my wp-config.php in each sub-domain and in the root Multi Site
/* Multisite */
define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true );
4. add a .htaccess file into each sub-domain
5. enable Network, choose sub-domains and replace existing WP lines with these new ones in .htaccess
6. On MultiSite install at root level, change salts
7. .htaccess - not sure but a rule to allow sub-domains to pass through the root htaccess to sub-domain htaccess, and assume same htaccess rules in each sub-domain as root... not sure
Help feedback please!