Multi-Site user profile issues when integrating across a Multi-Site

Hi - Doesn't time fly!

I promised @PC some time back to post a separate thread relating to Wordpress user profiles when integrating Appointments + across a Multi-Site so hopefully it would generate some useful discussion and potential solutions.

I suspect the same issue would relate to a number of plug-ins that can be integrated across a Multi-Site.

For ease of reference I've added the responses to date that were captured on the shared thread.

My initial question was:-

If we have a number of different clients using a multi-site does this mean that registered Wordpress users of one sub-site on a multi-site has subscriber access to all other sub-sites on the multi-site?
i.e. They can view other subsites

Also if a user say registers with a name fredbloggs on one sub-site does this mean the same name cannot be registered on any other sub-sites?
If this is the case is there any workaround?

I ask because the clients would not be aware they were on a multi-site and may ask why a username is being refused when they know that there isn't a user with that name on their site (part of the multi-site).

Regards
SteveB

• pxwm

Response by @PC

@pxwm

If we have a number of different clients using multisite does this mean that registered Wordpress users of one subsite on a multisite has subscriber access to all other subsites on the multisite?
    i.e. They can view other subsites

Yes, by default its true.

However you can use http://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-user-management/ or http://wordpress.org/plugins/join-my-multisite/ to make it suit your needs :slight_smile:

Also if a user say registers with a name fredbloggs on one subsite does this mean the same name cannot be registered on any other subsites?
    If this is the case is there any workaround?

Yeah, as the registrations are done on the network level the same username can not be used again (just like WordPress.com)

I ask because the clients would not be aware they were on a multisite and may ask why a username is being refused when they know that there isn't a user with that name on their site (part of the multisite).

Sadly not possible from what I know
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/same-user-name-for-different-sub-sites

• pxwm

My response to @PC

Hi @PC

Many thanks, really helpful post and I'll check out the plugin.

It's a shame that Wordpress would not allow a user to have the same user profile name across sub-sites for instance, I was hoping that the main networked database would have a separate registration for each sub-site:-

I suggest it wouldn't be a problem for instance if you were managing a Directory type website with many sub-sites where the user was registering across all the sub-sites.

However not so good if for instance you wanted to develop a multi-site where you wanted to host a single on-line service across sub-sites with many clients wanting to host their own single on-line service using a sub-site, as the owner would think they had a unique on-line service. If they wanted their users to register it would seem rather strange if their user informed them that they couldn't register with a particular user name and it stated this was not available.
    And when our client checked in their Wordpress user profile this username wasn't being used on their sub-site.
    They would then ask why and it would soon become obvious that their on-line service was being shared across different clients.

Your thoughts on this?

Regards
    SteveB

• pxwm

Replay by @PC that has prompted me to create a new thread for further discussion and hopefully solutions

Hey Steve,

Thanks for posting back. Sorry to ask however this discussion would better suit a different thread so that it can help others too. Whenever someone comes looking for an existing thread on the forums, they generally look at the title and ignore the discussion thinking that it would be related to the thread title.

This is a issue worth having a good discussion on as by default on a single network WordPress doesn't allow same username to be used twice. WordPress multi-site has not been designed keeping this in mind that one can be using it to offer sites to their clients (as a sub-site) and them not knowing that they are a part of the multi-site network.

Still as I said, its worth discussion and I will really appreciate if you could kindly create a new thread (with a reference to this one :slight_smile: )

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Ash

Hello @pxwm

I hope you are well today!

You picked a very interesting topic.

I don't agree with the first answer of PC (though honestly I didn't test yet). I think a user of a subsite has no access to another subsite unless you have added them to your subsite manually.

And yes, if one username is registered in a subsite, you can't register the same username in another subsite, though he is not an user of 2nd subsite.

Let me share you my logic here:

For example: two subsites -
    a.site.com
    b.site.com

test is an user of a.site.com. Now no one can register in b.site.com with the username test. The reason is, network admin can add any existing user into any subsite in any time. So, he can add the user test to b.site.com anytime. Now if any user is already registered with test username in b.site.com, there will be a conflict.

I think when someone registers in a subsite, he is a subsite user, true, but besides he is also registered as a network user. I believe you noticed that, when you go to add a new user you see two options - add new user and add existing user.

But, after all, I believe it still creates confusion to lots of user.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.