multi site user roles

Admin can delete super admin… Is there a way around this? I was deleted from my second site by a user and now I can’t see the site. . . lol

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings JosephLee1179,

Sorry to hear of this issue and what possibly could have been installed to allow this action when as I just tested out, under normal circumstances the users cannot even be listed by a regular user nor the regular admin of a sub site.

Are you or have you used a user role editor of some kind and obviously made a mistake granting this privilege?

Please advise the circumstances or any circumstances surrounding this so that we can make sure it does not happen again on your WordPress installation.

Cheers, Joe

• JosephLee1179
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Yea, so my second account (admin but not site admin) could only see the site he was a user on. He removed me from that site. Now logged into super admin I can’t see that site in my “SITES.” I’ve lost my site.I have to go back to that site with that admin account and reinvite my super admin as an admin…

Why can an admin delete a super admin. The manual says differently. No, both user’s arn’t super admin, and they don’t have an email address in common.

• JosephLee1179

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/introduction-to-super-admin-user/

The manual says administrators can add/remove users. My super admin is listed as an “administrator” on every single subsite of my network. Any administrator may remove the super admin cause it only says admnistrator.

I just deleted everything. The entire network, plugins, wordpress, everything. I reinstalled it all from scratch.

Out of the box, I created three sites (subdomains). I then as super admin clicked on the site in my sites drop down. I went into the back office of each site and created a user “administrator” then I loged out of my super admin and into my admin on that site. Then I deleted my super admin. I loged into the super admin and I didn’t see the site connected to my super admin account. I can log BACK in with my administrator account and “add a previous user” option. Then if I select my super admin, I can go back to super admin and see the site again.

Administrators can remove Super Admins. Someone said to me that recently WordPress updated (3.5) so admins can delete admins. You can now delete the user titled “admin” that comes default with the WP install.

Please help me. I need to make sure this is the case. I am working on a plugin to delete the USER out of the back office except if you are the super-admin, but that plugin isn’t going so well. Someone is helping me on another thread.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings JosephLee1179,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I admit I was in dis belief reading through this and set out to disprove or confirm this possibility hoping to disprove it.

Before doing my test I did a complete backup of the database so I could easily restore the database back to its original state.

Unbelievable but true, a sub site administrator can indeed delete the super admin from the site – confirmed for WordPress 3.5.1

I will see if I can get a lead developer/coder in here with his invaluable insight into WordPress for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Aaron
    • CTO

That’s normal. You are simply removing their role on a given site, not actually deleting a user. The super admin still exists and has full admin access to any site on the network.

A super admin user can have any or no roles on a subsite (they can even be a subscriber), but it means absolutely nothing as they always have full admin access to every site in the network, role or not.

The only thing removing the role might affect is the “My Sites” menu dropdown, that’s not related to the super admin in any way, all users get that menu based on sites they have a role on.

By the way, it’s not normal for a super admin to even have a role on subsites unless they created them themselves.

• JosephLee1179

Yea, I understand now. I can still access the sites by “Sites,” then “Dashboard.”

This was not as obvious to me when I started on the multi site. The drop down menu was obvious. I didn’t even know I could use “Sites” “Dashboard.”

I am on this now! lol

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Aaron,

Thank you Chief for the clarification and indeed after further testing that the Super Admin still has his role over all sites when logging in as such and is not deleted form his power over the network and/or sub sites.

Thank you sir for your prompt response and calming any concerns about this action.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.