Multi-Site Vs Multi-Install w/ Shared DB

Was excited to set up a multisite network, but... this has very quickly become a mind melting mess... permissions issues of every kind, even w/ super admin, plugin dashboard notes everywhere, the entire multisite process seems riddle w/ painful extra obstacles...

A single install w/ each site having own plugins / themes AND a shared user / DB seems like a much better / more sane solution.

Is that the best way to have multiple sites w/ single sign on?

What functionality is lost if I set up separate installs w/ shared DB?

Do your MU plugins work w/ single install shared DB?

Thank you.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello David,

A single install w/ each site having own plugins / themes AND a shared user / DB seems like a much better / more sane solution.

I'm not sure this is possible to have one user table to share that between single WordPress installs (but I admit I never tried to achieve that and Im not database expert). We have plugin that will allow you to sync users from master site (where users are registered) to slave sites - users are copied to those slave sites databases, so I'm not sure if this is solution you are looking for for https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-user-synchronization/

What functionality is lost if I set up separate installs w/ shared DB?

If by shared DB we understand that tables for each installation will be kept in the same database (that is absolute possible - that is why WordPress uses table prefixes) then you wont lost any functionalities.
    This is security issue thou - if by some reason one of your installation will be compromised and someone will gain access to your database, then they will gain access to all tables in that database.

Do your MU plugins work w/ single install shared DB?

No, Multisite plugins will work only on the Multisite installation. It doesn't matter if single installs are sharing the same database, they still single WP and MU plugins are working only in Network.

Let me know if you still need any further assistance here

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.