multi-site with customer partitioning

What is the best way to get scalability using multi-site with a single domain?

Thanks,
Boyd

• Zyniker

Would you care to elaborate a little bit on what you mean by "scalability"?

Are your concerns more about the technical details of scaling a large site? or something more along the lines of how to manage a large number of users with limited name space?

Also, keep in mind that you can create your site now with your single domain and expand it in the future to other domains using the Domain Mapping plugin. Also, like Pranaya said, if your site starts to grow beyond the constraints of a single database, you can look into Multi-DB.

• vivinow

Thanks for your thoughtful answers. I did look at the multi-db link and we will need to scale with multiple database images.

We don't host many blogs but rather have a more traditional site with lost of pages.

We expect to have millions of daily members visit a single domain viewing 5-6 pages per visit out of 400 pages to choose from. The scalability concern is how to maintain response time with that load.

It isn't obvious how partitioning pages(blogs?) will solve our problem. I think our our partitioning will need to be in the users rather than the content. One idea was to segment users by geography as a partitioning method.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Boyd

• aecnu

Greetings Boyd and PC,

Thank you PC for the invitation.

I shall dig right in. First and foremost, Multi DB does not work on WP Engine as do a few other plugins.

This is a known configuration issue but also deals with site size as was mentioned above more then dealing with traffic.

It was said that the traffic was expected to be millions, but what is it now?

Many people expect millions and obviously do not get it. Visions of grandeur? Wishful thinking? I have no idea but of course it is better to be safe then sorry with the option of scalability at ones finger tips.

However, is this kind of traffic did not already pre-exist, I would have recommended a VPS Lite to start with and scaling as necessary all the way to dedicated server, and if that still cannot handle the traffic then another dedicated server using poor mans load balancing to keep costs down but performance high.

Thank you for asking and for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• vivinow

Joe,

Thanks for your response to our scalabilty question. We are a new site and only at 300 daily users and about 3,000 page views today so the million is still at least a year away(dream not reality yet).

I was not familiar with VPS but there appears to be hosting sites that support it.

Does VPS enable many real servers supporting a single WP instance?

and/or

Would your VPS recommendation end with 2 (or more) large SMP servers, a front end load balancer and a shared or duplicate database?

We are primarily a member site and have php code on all 300 pages. I assume that php page creation is our compute bottleneck. If WPEngine's performace measurements are close to reality, We would need 200+ cpu's to drive the compute workload at a million daily. It would seem that a large, hi performance shared logon/database server and many page servers would be the ideal architecture (or some other partitioning strategy) but everyone including WPEngine is recommending a couple of big servers. Is this a Wordpress design limitation.

Thanks,
    Boyd

• aecnu

Greetings Boyd,

Thank you for the additional questions.

Does VPS enable many real servers supporting a single WP instance?

I do not know about the configurations of other hosts and their servers, but traditionally the vast majority have a single server which is split into several "VPS"s limiting resources via Virtuozzo or VM and the like - which in itself has extra overhead everyone on that server lives with. In addition, they parse out/provisions parts of the resources including CPU and memory.

In our specific case we do not use any of that and when a call is made to one of our servers the entire power of the server is used to resolve the call slamming the end users browser lightening fast with the data and making the end users computer power part of the network equation while they are viewing/visiting sites on the server.

Unconventional? Absolutely. Performance - killer speeds.

Would your VPS recommendation end with 2 (or more) large SMP servers, a front end load balancer and a shared or duplicate database?

In this event it would/could end possibly with two or more dedicated servers mirrored (rsync) and use poor mans load balancing to split the traffic between the applicable servers.

but everyone including WPEngine is recommending a couple of big servers.

I have seen these more often then not ridiculous recommendations, here is one post that basically the member was told the same type of thing for their needs and turns out the recommendations were just money grabbing BS because of configurations and short sightedness:

This guy was told he needs to spend thousands, I told him to quite wasting his money and it could be done for under $200 - he thought I was nuts until he tried it and here is his testament:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/what-would-be-the-best-hosting-for-a-network#post-288348

Have a GREAT upcoming week!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.