Multi site with multiple domains

I installed WP multisite for the first time last night...so I'm learning.
I have installed both Multi Domains and Domain Mapping.
WP Multisite is installed on mummu.com and I have several other domains I want to use.

I seem to have it working...kinda, just not the way I want.

For example, I have a site
http://www.curvejunkies.com that I want to develop. At present, http://www.curvejunkies.com correctly loads the curvejunkies WP site. However, curvejunkies.com redirects to mummu.com.

I want curvejunkies.com *and* http://www.curvejunkies.com to both go to the same curvejunkies site.

Likewise, I have about a dozen other domains that I want to go to their own site under multisite

domain1.com, http://www.domain1.com --> domain1.com

domain2.com, http://www.domain2.com --> domain2.com

Any suggestions, please? I'm going nuts

aecnu

Greetings dan_brandenburg,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

It appears that there are several possibilities here, the first is do you have a dedicated IP?

According to my premium reverse IP service that I subscribe to it is not even closet to being a dedicated IP:

Reverse IP Lookup Results—1,408 domains hosted on IP address 74.220.207.85
    Web Site
    101-health.info
    12storiestall.com
    1800bailbonds.com

The number that says 1,408 should be 1 and only one domain being mummu.com

Please note the Domain Mapping plugin usage instructions clearly indicates that a dedicated IP is necessary.

And also from the description you gave above of your site layout I have yet to understand why you are using Multi Domains at all?

Please advise on all of the above.

Cheers, Joe

dan_brandenburg

Yep, it is a dedicated IP... it *should* be 66.147.253.75

I purchased the IP last night.

As for using Multi Domains, it might be that I installed it first without fully understanding what it was for. In fact, I initially thought it was for *exactly* my described purpose...but maybe it's not

I simply want to create a series of websites with different which are all easily controlled by me from withing WP Multisite....same plugins, same themes, same user (me...I'm the only user) but with different content and different domains.

thanks!

Fullworks

although it is possible to achieve domain mapping on a shared IP address using name servers and parked domains - to do this change the names servers on your domains to point to your shared host name servers and log in to your multisite c-panel and add the domain as a parked domain

From the description of the issue that the www. is working and not the non-www it sounds like this is an attempt to set up domain mapping using the cname technique, that only works with sub domains (www. is technically a sub domain.

aecnu

Thank you for your additional input and clarifications.

It appears that the domain name propagation has now changed to the correct IP and I am getting the following for the dedicated IP settings on a reverse lookup:

Reverse IP Lookup Results—5 domains hosted on IP address 66.147.253.75
    Web Site
    imahappymoo.com
    mummu.com
    transambience.com

So it is still not dedicated considering the other domains on the IP but close enough that it should work anyways considered you are using parked domains.

Lets discuss a bit the way this all works.

First regardless of using domain mapping, multi domains or whatever you need to have the domain resolving to the WordPress installation. WordPress itself will resolve domains and sub sites that it is aware of.

It is natively aware of the main domain of course and Domain Mapping is used to resolve domains to sub sites that WordPress is natively aware of.

By parking a domain, the domain call so to speak is sent to the WordPress installation without anything further needing to be done. Usually this is accomplished during the park and the folder WordPress lives in is indicated is indicated by the /

No further DNS actions are necessary.

That is it. Really simple as pie once one understands that WordPress and Domain Mapping actually resolve the domains, they just need the domain sent to them so they can indeed resolve the domain.

Now from what you have described that you want to do, managing your WordPress domains and sites form a single install and admin panel, I would suggest that you are using the wrong plugin combination to do this and you would be better off using the plugin of plugins in my opinion that I have grown to love and appreciate as a truly great plugin Networks for WordPress plugin. It has domain mapping built in and will accurately deal with multi domains.

Please advise if this post gives clarity to the mission and how it goes now that you have the big picture of the operation we are working with.

If you indeed choose to use the Networks for WordPress plugin I have mentioned above then you should reverse the Domain Mapping and Multi Domain plugin installations before activating the new plugin. Do not forget to reverse the sunrise statements as well.

Look forward to hearing from you in any event and have a GREAT weekend!

Cheers, Joe

aecnu

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

FT

Thank you for your brutal honesty. I'm several days trying to get my installation working on a Godaddy shared hosting and it seems an impossible task.

Having bought these two plugins -Domain Mapping and Multi-Domains- I was about to make another extra expense in a dedicated IP.

I followed all the instructions, I asked the hosting provider and I left questions in this forum ... this revelation surprised me. http://wordpress.org/plugins/networks-for-wordpress/ is a free plugin.