Multi-Site WordPress Hierarchy

In the description of the multisite install it says that it supports a single network. I am not sure what this means. Can wordpress be setup so that their are multiple levels? For Instance:

mainsite.com

->subsite.com

->->subsiteofsubsite.com

etc…

If so what are the key plugins needed?

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @jeff,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

In the description of the multisite install it says that it supports a single network. I am not sure what this means.

A single network means single multisite. You will find more information about it on the following pages.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/wordpress-wordpress-mu-and-wordpress-multisite/

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-multisite-guide/

Can wordpress be setup so that their are multiple levels? For Instance:

mainsite.com

->subsite.com

->->subsiteofsubsite.com

etc…

No currently multisite doesn’t support the multiple site hierarchy but only the parent and sub site.

If so what are the key plugins needed?

Could you please tell me what you want to achieve so that i can suggest you plugins to use?

Kind Regards,

Vinod Dalvi

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Jeff,

Hope you’re well today and thanks for your question!

Currently WordPress doesn’t offer the ability to have a sub site of a sub site. How about having a single site install as the main site, then a multisite on a sub directory along with a sub directory multisite install, if that would work?

So you’d have domain.com/multisite/subsite/

Kind Regards

Jack.

• Jeff
    • Flash Drive

I need someone who can help me plan a multi network structure. Is this something that I can get support with through my membership? I am familiar with the plugins and wordpress and a detail knowledge of web programming and database management.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @jeff,

Hope you’re well today! :slight_smile:

I have seen and also used the wp multi network plugin, it allows you to have networks of networks, which may be suitable in your case for this hierarchy you want.

Though I wouldn’t normally advise you to go with something like that, as there can be plugin incompatibilities, as any plugin that is developed would normally be developed for singles sites, multisites or both, where a multisite is defined as the main site with sub sites, not a network with sub sites that has a separate network.

You may issues with backup plugins etc, with that particular plugin, it definitely can be done, but will most likely require custom coding, as it’s just not something that WordPress has been specifically designed to handle. Taking into account the plugin is a big factor, I’d recommend finding the plugins you want before you start on the site, that way if you go with WP multi network or similar, you can see if their compatible first. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Jeff,

Hope you’re well today! I’m afraid we don’t offer specific one to one support.

But we’d be happy to use this thread to assist you. :slight_smile:

Your support has dwindled down a bit from my prior experiences. Is there a reason/shift in direction?

We’re currently handling more threads and a few staff members have had personal problems, which means we haven’t had full staff available, all staff will we back full time next week and we’ve just hired two more :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.