multi-site/network stores performance dilemma

Guys,

I am about to start working on a multi-site network of stores and have purchased a premium membership. However, the developers I am talking to are saying that if I ever reach a point where a store wants to put 1000+ products, categories etc. on my network (a great problem to have) - marketpress will never scale like opencart or magento.. specially since I would have to do all the backend work of finding product descriptions, categories, pictures etc for all UPCs..

Are there any examples of large network of stores being run with 1000s of products and categories using marketpress? I would like to validate this before I start coding.

Thanks for any inputs.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there, can you give any examples of why they said it would not work?

Any issues they see, is this plugin related or WP related?

We do offer a Multi-DB plugin if its an issue with queries on the DB.

If you could please provide further information I can ask our dev for feedback on that.

Thanks.

• Ronnie
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for your repsonse..

The feedback I got was "If this is more than 400 products and you need all these options.. then Wordpress wont support it for sure. Its a sure shot dead end. I have been there, done that and had many clients migrate from Wordpress.

Wordpress, simply put, is a CMS and not a eCommerce cart. It was not designed for it and tweaking its templates or even taxomonies doesnt help. There is not a single plugin that I have tried that and none of them could make a successful cart.

Rather, I would highly recommend you OpenCart of Magento. Both have even more plugins (for eCommerce) than Wordpress itself. We tend to stick to WP because of its rich plugins... but OpenCart and Magento are as rich as Wordpress is."

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Oh their blaming WordPress then.

Edublogs powers over 1.2 million websites.

WordPress.com powers well over 30 million blogs. (I think the total on the top might refer to some not on .com as well)

http://en.wordpress.com/stats/

WordPress.com users produce about 500,000 new posts and 400,000 new comments on an average day.

That's a lot of tables, a lot of content and it all works.

As another alternative, I do like Pretashop as well, but Magento is a really great product. I've used it before, but with great power comes complexity.

I guess it's what you need and how you want to achieve it.

Take care.
    Tim.

• Ronnie
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks - I believe for what I am trying to do, starting off with MarketPress should be just fine. If I ever have that "great problem" of too much traffic - I can look at Magento (yes, I agree it is a great product).

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.