CONFUSED! Multi-user help in Network?

Hi!

I am very confused on how WPMU & BuddyPress works.

I want to make the Network theme be able to take sign-ups for multiple users, and all of them create their own blogs within my domain.

However, I don't want them to have to use the WP admin bar or dashboard, but instead use a simplified user interface, like BuddyPress.

I want all the posts from the different blogs show up on the main homepage of my Network-themed site, so that my users can generate my site's content for them.

However, that's not happening, and instead when I tested my multi-site out, I end up creating an entirely separate site, that just happened to be under my main site.

Sorry if this is confusing, but basically, I want my Network-themed site to be simplefied and as separate from Wordpress as possible.

How do I do this? Thanks!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hi

However, I don't want them to have to use the WP admin bar or dashboard, but instead use a simplified user interface, like BuddyPress.

You could use our Easy Blogging plugin to give a simplified admin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/easy-blogging

Easy Bloggin can remove the admin bar in the admin area.

To remove the wp admin bar front end:

http://auroral.co.uk/2011/04/04/remove-the-wordpress-default-admin-bar/

I want all the posts from the different blogs show up on the main homepage of my Network-themed site, so that my users can generate my site's content for them.

In the Network Theme Advance Options you can enable network posts to appear on the front of your site.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. :slight_smile:

• mkkwon
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for the links!

I want my users to sign up and automatically have a blog attached to them, so they don't have to "create a site" after they sign up.

(Example)
    mkkwon signs up as a new user.
    after confirmation, mkkwon signs in and starts blogging under (main-site-platform).com/mkkwon

It's similar to Tumblr, in terms of blogging platform functionality.

From what it looks like, buddypress & WPMU are separate from what I thought it was. I can sign up as a new user and have my own profile, thru buddypress, but that does NOT mean I have a blog. Also, I can create multiple blogs, which is what i DO NOT want.

Any advice on how I should take this on?

• mkkwon
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Also, another question,

Is there a way to make a customized user dashboard, similar to what we have here at premium.wpmudev.org?

I noticed that I almost never noticed that this site has a WP-admin dashboard, until after I clicked on editing details from my private profile here.

I would like to have the user be able to post from a custom dashboard, instead of the wp-admin, since my client wants to make a blogging-platform site.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hi mkkwon.

Just to confirm, you do have your WordPress set up as a multisite?

If so then in:

Admin --> Network Admin --> Settings

/wp-admin/network/settings.php

You can choose to allow blog creation on signup. Then when they sign up they can create a blog:

/wp-signup.php

You could use something like the following plugin to limit blog creation to 1 site:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/limit-blogs-per-user/

Or if you wish to charge, you could use something like our Pro Sites:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites

Some real cool features in there! :slight_smile:

BuddyPress is a social networking plugin which gives your users a wall, groups, etc. Similar to Facebook I suppose.

Hope this help.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Just seen your other response:

Is there a way to make a customized user dashboard, similar to what we have here at premium.wpmudev.org?

Yes it would require some custom work though. You could also look at the Easy Bloggin I mentioned earlier. That could be a good way to get the look you want.

I would like to have the user be able to post from a custom dashboard, instead of the wp-admin, since my client wants to make a blogging-platform site.

I'm not sure I understand you fully here, could you please elaborate.

Take care.

• mkkwon
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Yes, I am using both MultiSite & Buddy Press. But it sounds like I don't need buddypress.

My prospective site is more similar to pinterest.com, where I just want users to sign up for my site, make blog (texts/images) posts, and have all those posts show up in the main page where visitors AND users can see them.

What would be the user's page is just a list of all the posts that belong to that user. (similar to pinterest.com)

I've been scouring around and I was directed to use Network theme from wpmu. In your opinion, am I going about this the right way?

What are your suggestions for reaching my goal for my site?

Once again, thank you so much for your help!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

Network theme is close to what you want, but its no exact. For what you want you would need to use the same theme globally through your site. Unless you want users to have their own themes?

For something like the "Like Button" you could use the Post Voting Plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/post-voting-plugin

For Quick Status like Facebook (I don't have an account on pinterest, so maybe similar there):

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/quick-status

Back to the Network theme, if you want it to work exactly the same as pinterest, then it will need some custom work to include post comments.

BuddyPress with cool theme could achieve some of what you want, but your users would be:

siteurl.com/members/admin/

So they never have their own blog, but they do get their own wall, status updates.

And for buddypress media upload:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/media-embeds-for-buddypress-activity

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

• mkkwon
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Wow. This was really helpful!

I guess, I was looking to do something more like Tumblr, since Pinterest seems too focused on single posts. I am more focused on each user generating their unique set of posts.

I think I'll be in for a long haul for this one, but hopefully I can get this scrubbed down by Friday!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again, you are welcome! :slight_smile:

There certainly is a lot to play with. Its best to get a demo site up and play around with it testing different solutions until you find something you like. If there isn't anything which fits your needs exactly then you might need to consider something custom.

Let us know how you get on with this one. :slight_smile:

• knobby
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

This a a great post to find. I am also doing something similar for the engineering community with tutorials on software and want to have the child sites content show up on the main site page and also have a common activity for the users with Buddypress and forums. (bbpress I assume?)

I am just starting to understand all of this stuff.

What would a good direction be to go for a front end upload section to allow users to submit tutorials for the site, then as an admin change them slightly, then approve and post them. These child sites would have different areas to go to for the content based on what they are looking for.

What would be the direction to look at for the custom post/content upload for a user to submit a tutorial or project?

Hopefully in the long run they would also be able to (through membership) have the ability to access secure content for paid tutorials or custom content.

What would be used for this as well? It seems the membership plugin is limited in protecting content and also for the use of Cloudfront type activity. What are the future plans to strengthen this?

Kevin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.