MultiDB 2.8.5 when moving db to another server the db.php uses the old server.

Ok, so.

We installed MultiDB, works like a charm.

Now we’re upgrading the servers and are moving the databases to a MySQL cluster, when doing so we move one database at the time, and with the first db it fails.

The config looks like this:

add_db_server(’27’, ‘dc1′, 1, 1,”,’10.9.5.4’, ‘database_27’, ‘user’, ‘password’:wink:;

add_db_server(’28’, ‘dc1’, 1, 1, ”, ‘10.9.5.20’, ‘database_28, ‘user’, ‘password’:wink:;

We’re using 256 dbs, and we wanted to test with database_28, so we disabled it by changing password, moved the DB to another server and changed the config, saved and restarted PHP and Nginx.

Now; WordPress is still using the OLD database server.

It seems like something is wrong, perhaps a bug? Any ideas?

Br

Andreas

• SEA
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi,

No, since the plugin doesn’t even try to connect to the “new” database, but keeps using the old one, I don’t get an error.

As I understand it from other threads the Multi-server function in 2.8.5 and 2.9.1/2 is broken, and then fixed in 3.0.

But, i can’t upgrade WordPress version, so I need it to work in MultiDB 2.9 or 2.8.5.

Yes, and all cache removed.

Cheers!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

As I understand it from other threads the Multi-server function in 2.8.5 and 2.9.1/2 is broken, and then fixed in 3.0.

But, i can’t upgrade WordPress version, so I need it to work in MultiDB 2.9 or 2.8.5.

Ah, generally we only support the most current versions of both WordPress and our plugin. As you can see we have had a fair few versions since 2.9.

I can of course ask Barry if he has any ideas on this however I suspect his advice would be to upgrade.

What was the reason for not upgrading if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks.

• SEA
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi,

I understand that, one just have to ask :wink:

The installation is pretty big and we just started working on it, an version upgrade is scheduled for the autumn but we need to solve some database performance issues right away and MultiDB is a good start.

The reason for not upgrading at this moment is that we suspect there is some hacks in the core, and upgrading is very likely to break the whole site.

Br

Andreas

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

The reason for not upgrading at this moment is that we suspect there is some hacks in the core, and upgrading is very likely to break the whole site.

Ouch….

I’m guessing you ran a differential and saw some differences between the site and actual WP files for that version?

I know its huge, but is there no way to create a smaller staging site to test that out. If moving those DBs out is what is needed then upgrading would be a quick way to do that.

If there are changes maybe try to move them out into a separate plugin.

Sounds like a nightmare and one I don’t envy.

Take care.

• SEA
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Yes, and we’ve spoken to the previous developers.

We’ll have to do that later on, right now our main focus is solveing the performance issues and it seems like we have to ditch our idea of a multi-master mysql cluster for now.

Thx.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.