Multidb problem with clean installation

With WP3.0 i decided to start from scratch with multidb but for some reason, it's not working.

I followed the installation and everything seems be fine, move-blogs worked without a problem, copied tables to vip blog but when i wanted to verify that im using the multidb (renaming the old db) i got the "Can’t select database" message.

The only thing that i did different now is the name of the db, the old db is called wp and the new wp_0, wp_1, etc. could that be a problem ?

Last time that i installed it i dont remember modifying the wp-config file, do we have to do it now ?

• kueyen

Sure, thanks :slight_smile:

<?php
    // Plugin Name: Multi-DB
    // Plugin URI: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/Multiple-Databases
    // Author: Andrew Billits (Incsub)
    // Version: 2.9.2
    //------------------------------------------------------------------------//
    //---DB Scaling-----------------------------------------------------------//
    // 16,256,4096
    define ('DB_SCALING', '16');
    //---DC IPs---------------------------------------------------------------//
    // Usage: add_dc_ip(IP, DC)
    // EX: add_dc_ip('123.123.123.', 'dc1');
    add_dc_ip('10.1.2.', 'dc1');
    //---Global Tables--------------------------------------------------------//
    // Do not include default global tables
    // Leave off base prefix (eg: wp_)
    //
    // Usage: add_global_table(TABLE_NAME)
    // EX: add_global_table('something');
    //add_global_table('blogs');

//---DB Servers-----------------------------------------------------------//
    // Database servers grouped by dataset.
    // R can be 0 (no reads) or a positive integer indicating the order
    // in which to attempt communication (all locals, then all remotes)
    //
    // Usage: add_db_server(DS, DC, READ, WRITE, HOST, LAN_HOST, NAME, USER, PASS)
    // EX: add_db_server('global', 'dc1', 1, 1,'global.mysql.example.com:3509','global.mysql.example.lan:3509', 'global-db', 'gl
    obaluser', 'globalpassword');
    //
    // Note: you can also place this section in a file called db-list.php in wp-content
    add_db_server('global', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_global', 'user', 'password');

add_db_server('0', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_0', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('1', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_1', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('2', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_2', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('3', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_3', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('4', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_4', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('5', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_5', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('6', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_6', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('7', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_7', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('8', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_8', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('9', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_9', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('a', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_a', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('b', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_b', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('c', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_c', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('d', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_d', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('e', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_e', 'user', 'password');
    add_db_server('f', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_f', 'user', 'password');

add_db_server('vip1', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'wp_vip1', 'user', 'password');
    //---VIP Blogs------------------------------------------------------------//
    // Usage: add_vip_user(BLOG_ID, DS)
    // EX: add_vip_user(1, 'vip1');

add_vip_user(1, 'vip1');
    ?>

• kueyen

It's the same error than before but from the admin page and from the main page.

I did it everything again, and everytime i try to remove the old db i got the cant connect message. I noticed that the other databases are getting filled and when i create a new user is created in wp_global rather than wp (the old one).... if it's actually using global instead of the old one, why i cant just remove it ?

thanks
    K

• drmike

VIPs aren't needed unless the blog in question is getting millions of hits a day and you have to put that blog's databases on a separate machine to deal with load.

edit: Well thousands of comments a day at least. Millions of hits or page views really needs to be handled with a caching script.

Friendly reminder that that clarification should be in the install instructions. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.