Multidomain issue

We recently upgraded to Wordpress 3.1.3 and upgraded our to plugin to 1.1.4.

We're having an issue when trying to create new blogs on one of our multiple domains. In our case, the primary domain is mychiroblog.com, and the second domain is myministryblog.com. When we try to add a new site to the myministryblog.com domain, we get the following error message:

"The site you were looking for, http://myministryblogcom.mychiroblog.com/, does not exist."

The sites page confirms that the blog hasn't been created.

We've recently upgraded our Wordpress installation to use multiple databases, but haven't had any other problems.

Thanks,
Dr. Pat

• wlpdrpat
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey Phil,

I tried several different site names. I am able to create blogs on the primary domain name (mychiroblog.com) but when I try to create a site on one of our multi-domain domain names it gives the error shown above regardless of the site name (sub-domain name) that we choose.

It takes us to the register page and shows the domain name we tried to use as the sub-domain.

Here is everything it says:

Greetings Site Administrator! You are currently allowing “user” registrations. To change or disable registration go to your Options page.
    You are logged in already. No need to register again!
    The site you were looking for, http://myministryblogcom.mychiroblog.com/, does not exist.

So, something goes wrong with the registration of the blog.

Pat

• wlpdrpat

Hey Phil,

This is definitely a serious bug.

I tested the plugin with the following:

New WP 3.1.3 Network sub-domain install
    Theme: twentyten
    Plugins active: Multi-Domain 1.1.4 and Domain Mapping 3.0.4

Installed on domain1.com

create sub-domain site1.domain1.com successful.

create sub-domain site2.domain2.com fails: on Add Site redirects to domain2.com/wp-admin/network/ then redirects to domain1.com/wp-signup.php?new=domain2.com with the following error:
    You are logged in already. No need to register again!
    The site you were looking for, http://kaizenlifeskillscom.kaizenstyle.com/, does not exist.

I then added domain mapping for site1.domain1.com mapped to domain2.com successfully.

With domain mapped create sub-domain site2.domain2.com fails: on Add Site redirects to domain2.com/wp-admin/network/

Plugin in its current state in non-functional with WP 3.1.3.

Pat

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Ah okay - there is the issue.

You cannot map a domain to a sub-site that you are also using in multi-domains.

To be clear you cannot map domain2.com to site1.domain1.com if you have also specified domain2.com as one of your multi-domains.

Say, for example, you wanted to create site2.domain2.com with your current setup... what is actually being asked for is site2.site1.domain1.com which WordPress just won't have.

Phil

• Michel Mosca

Hey Phil

Isn't that amazing... I just arrived here at the forum with this question in mind (sic. "can I use a domain in MD and map it to a subdomain of the primary domain at the same time?") and you answered it 55 minutes before I wanted to ask. Great timing - Thanks! Please keep on answering my questions, before they appear - it makes support so efficient :wink:

Michel

• wlpdrpat

Hey Phil,

You misinterpreted my post.

In testing the functionality of the Multi-Domain plugin with Domain Mapping on WP 3.1.3.

Primary domain name for install is domain1.com

I created site1.domain1.com successfully.

I tried to create site2.domain2.com unsuccessfully.

I then removed domain2.com from the Multi-Domain plugin page and used Domain Mapping to map domain2.com to site1.domain1.com. (I did this just to test that the domain name was able to resolve properly to the installation and it worked as expected)

I then removed the domain mapping for domain2.com and added it again to the Multi-Domain and tried to create site2.domain2.com and it continues to error.

This is 100% a bug. Please let you developer know that there is a significant but when Multi-Domain is used on 3.1.3 in combination with Domain Mapping.

Thanks,
    Pat

• Michel Mosca

I marked this as not resolved.

@Pat have you tried different methods to create a site2.domain2.com?

I ask, because I just installed the Multiple-Domains plugin and tried to create a blog through the network admin's sites menu (New Site), which failed. it does not even produce an error. It simply redirects me to the home page without creating anything.

However, when I use the option in the buddy bar (using BP 1.2.8 with WP 3.1.2), I get the site set up...

@Phil Can you reproduce this? I don't know, if this is a conflict or a bug. I cannot really disable all plugins as I am on a production site. (time to go in for a test install...).

I will further test a few things (e.g. regular user signup and batch create) and report any findings here.

thanks
    Michel

• Michel Mosca

In addition to my last entry..

1. Creation on other domain than primary through network admin (site - add new) is not possible. No message displayed and no error entry in log. simply redirects to home page without doing anything. no site/user created. test with primary domain works fine.

2. creation through buddy bar (create a blog!) on other domain than primary is possible, but no choice of template to use. use of default new blog template. site/user created and user added to main site as expected.

3. creation through regular signup (domain.com/register/) works equally normal as 2. above

4. attempt to batch create of blog1.domain2.com through blog4.domain2.com (series of 4 new blogs to create) : only 1st blog in is created then declines. log shows only one blog. Network admin sites and users show only 1 blog. user not added to main site (! unexpected). No entry in log files, no error message.

And now it gets a bit weird:
    just tried again through network admin (sites - add new) with primary domain and an email address that was used in batch trial (as the 4th position of a batch, but which was not created previously). The email is accepted, the blog is created and it is assigned to the user that was specified as 4th position in the batch file. i.e. the data on attempt 4. was written into the DB, but was not used to create blogs).

I am a bit at a loss and cannot narrow down further by eliminating plugins (as production site) but maybe someone could try on a slim install to see if the same happens?

thanks
    Michel

• wlpdrpat

@Michel

I can confirm the items you have relayed including normal register and batch create on fresh install of WP 3.1.3.

Theme: twentyten
    Plugins: Batch Create, Multi-Domain, Domain Mapping

Import of 4 sites creates 1st site fails on others. I checked the database and the users from the batch create were created but not assigned to a blog because the blog was not created. Guess they are in limbo (not assigned to a blog). This means when creating a new blog using one of the three emails the username and email already exists and is therefore used.

Pat

• wlpdrpat

Hey Phil,

Any movement on this bug? I realize 3.2 is out now and you guys probably have your work cut out just getting everything up to speed for 3.2.

I am hoping that this will include the fix for the bug we have described here as it is a bummer at the moment.

Thanks,

Pat

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Pat,

Yeah 3.2 has kept the team on their feet for sure!

This is a bigger issue which is gonna take a bit more than what we can do in a compatibility update I'm afraid. However, we are actively looking at these two plugins and how they work togather.

If you can gives us a week for things to die down I'll get an update from the developers.

Cheers,
    Phil

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Gah, looks like this one went through to the keeper, just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread or not?

If you could let us know by re-ponening this topic that'd be great, and we'll get onto it asap!

Just in case I'm also flagging Ve to this.

Cheers, James

• wlpdrpat

Hey James,

The plugin involved in this issue have not been updated since the issue was reported and I am still experiencing the same issues. So, I am assuming that it has not been resolved.

Here is a brief synopsis of the issue. With Multi-Domain and Domain Mapping plugins installed - Multi-Domain plugin can not successfully create a new site from /wp-admin/network/site-new.php except on the the original domain name. With the settings I have configured I get redirected to /wp-signup.php?new= where I am able to create a new site on the various domain names.

I look forward to this issue being resolved.

Pat

• oitdws
    • New Recruit

I can confirm that this patch fixed the issue for me. To recap:

My site is using the multi-domain and domain-mapping plugins, and the creation of new sites on anything but the primary domain would fail.

With this latest multi-domains.php file, the problem has been resolved.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.