Multidomains Plugin Multisite configuration

Hi, I just installed this plugin and ist says: only compatible with multisite. SO i can not activate it. What is missing?
Can you please help me?
Thanks.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @Jean-Pierre and welcome to the WPMUDEV Community!

The Multi-Domains plugin is only compatible with a multisite installation of WordPress. It makes no sense to use this plugin on a single-site installation, that's why it does not work there.

A multisite installation of WordPress allows you to create sub-sites of your main site.
    So if your main site is domain-a.com, then on WordPress multisite you can create new sites that will be like site1.domain-a.com, site2.domain-a.com etc.
    Using the multi-domain plugin, these extra sites can be be subdomains of multiple primary domains.
    So one site can be site1.domain-a.com and another site can be site2.domain-b.com

I hope that makes sense!

If you want to convert your WordPress installation to multisite, you can follow the instructions here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Jean-Pierre
    • New Recruit

Hi,
    thanks for the quick reply.
    I succeded to set up a the network. Have to test ist.
    As far as i can see for now, it is not absolutely necessary to use your plugin. It schould be working with the mu-domain-mapping plugin...
    I will check this.
    But anyway thanks a lot.
    Regards
    JP

• Jean-Pierre
    • New Recruit

Hi again!
    Hope you can answer this question. The mapping plugin as mentioned in the reply above is not working for me. I was searching a plugin for this solution:
    have 3 Domains and all point to one WP-Installation = one single site.
    What I tried to accomplish ist to keep the Domain-URL and not redirect to the main site were the installation is situated. I read some topics, but they did not answer it totally for me if this is the right issue.
    (I don't want users to add Sites or Subsites. If Wordpress was not resolving absolute urls, this problem would never occur.)
    I find, it is not exactly clear what the plugin does and what is needed to run it when purchasing.
    Regards JP

• Jean-Pierre
    • New Recruit

Hi,
    my 3 Domains are http://www.jpweiner.at/.net/.com
    Maybe the promblem can be solved with rewrite rules. But is this the best practice?
    Another question: Do I really need the wpmudev dashboard to run a plugin? I wan't to use it for customers. Especially I like the e-Newsletter plugin. When I purchase this plugin only, does it work on a clients site? I read the documentation. Can't find any info about that.
    The same ... membership plugin ... a.s.o.
    Thanks.
    Regards JP

• aristath
    • Recruit

Do I really need the wpmudev dashboard to run a plugin? I wan't to use it for customers.

Yes. You can install it on customer sites and then add this line in the wp-config.php file:
    define(‘WPMUDEV_HIDE_BRANDING’, true);
    This will hide the menu and all notifications, while still providing the ability to have automatic updates for the plugin.

As for your 3 domain if you want all 3 domains to redirect to a main domain then yes, you could simply use some .htaccess rules! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

hey there JP,

That is perfectly fine if you do not want to install the Dashboard plugin. That however gives you easy way to install our plugins and get remote support including single click plugin updates.

I hope that the issues reported in this thread are resolved now ? If not, kindly feel free to let me know and I will be around to assist.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.