Multipart email issues

Hi,

I'm just experimenting with the e-Newsletter plugin, and found a couple of issues.

The text based multipart letter doesn't have any paragraph formatting at all, and it doesn't add the URL version of linked content anywhere.

The HTML version of the email looks awesome, but the text version is not so great.

The issues:

1. The absence of automatically converted links I can still handle, I'll just paste in the full URLs instead of linking.

2. But the unsubscribe "link" is non existent as well, which basically means breaking the law...

3. Also, the lack of paragraph formatting makes the text version unreadable.

4. The From line and the first line in the email are indented by about 10 tabs.

5. There is a 10 line break between the subject and the from line, as well as the last line and the unsubscribe line.

Here is the text version of the multipart letter, the extra lines and the indents don't show up, but run a test and you'll see:

New lesson - Under the Bridge by RHCP

From Tom Fontana - TheGuitarLesson.com
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce non urna et nibh interdum egestas vel at diam. Fusce pulvinar facilisis neque vel molestie. Duis id massa urna.Cras eu feugiat urna. In mattis eleifend lacus fringilla condimentum. Cras sit amet turpis nibh, sit amet egestas magna. Duis orci risus, lacinia lobortis bibendum ac, tempus in orci. Fusce lacinia sapien ut nibh fringilla pharetra id ut dui.Donec venenatis felis quis odio gravida fringilla. Mauris auctor leo ac elit feugiat a ultricies turpis posuere. Integer laoreet imperdiet sollicitudin. Cras semper nisl nec magna vehicula viverra. Proin volutpat dui at enim malesuada porta. Nulla facilisi. Suspendisse potenti. Nulla vitae auctor ante. Quisque sit amet mauris arcu, et tincidunt massa.

Not interested anymore? Unsubscribe Instantly.

Can you guys correct these things please?
Thanks,
Tom

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hey Tom!

I'll do a test on this one and ask teh developer to comment here.

I will let him address any coded plugin specific issues and will tackle the remaining ones for you.

I am not sure if any or all of these could be related by code so best to let him look first?

Best,

Kimberly

• halasyt
    • Flash Drive

No, you're misunderstanding this. As I said, you are showing me the HTML version, not the text based version. Multipart emails have 2 versions, 1 for rendering by HTML mail clients (which you posted the screenshot of), and another one for text based mail clients (which have the formatting problems I'm talking about).

The formatting problems are with the text version, not the HTML one, just have a look at the message source as well (attached).

Please show this thread to the developer of the plugin as well.

• Cole
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey halasyt,

Nice catch. Txt versions of emails can still be very important depending on the mail client etc. I can easily fix the text formatting issue in the next release.

Could you explain a bit further what you meant about the unsubscribe link. There is no unsubscribe link being made available in the text version of the email huh?

• halasyt
    • Flash Drive

Hi Cole,

Well, I simply meant that when viewing the text version, the user has no way of knowing the unsubscribe URL, as all links are stripped from the text version.

This is actually an issue for all of the stripped links, not just the unsubscribe link.

The solution is usually to append all of the links that would be in the email either at the end of the email in an ordered list format, or add the link URL in parenthesis right after whatever should have been linked withing the <a> tag.

Oh, and 1 more thing, if you're redoing the text based layout version coding, please mind the other basic formatting elements as well, so they will be "pretty" for text based email clients. Specifically, I'm referring to:
    - Ordered lists: are numbered
    - Unordered lists: lines preceded by a "-" usually
    - Bold text: usually rapped with asterisk, so like this: *lorem ipsum*

Thanks a lot!
    Tom

• Cole
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Tom, really good points there about the lists and such. So for the links I think what I will do is do some sort of bracketing. An example....

Hey everyone on my newsletter I now have a store where you can give me lots of your money. You can view the store here [http://give-me-your-moneys.org/please/]

The word "here" would have been an <a href> link in the HTML version. Does that sound like the kind of functionality you would expect in a Plain Txt version?

• David
    • The Crimson Coder

I'm sticking my 2-cents in on this topic. Way back in the day, when my sites were just getting started, we had an unsubcribe link in HTML (not using this plugin, my own code). Anyway, even though there was an unsubscribe link, we (and, worse, our ISP) were getting tons of "There's no unsubscribe link" complaints for our weekly emails.

As it turned out, there were quite a few text-only readers, and even if we were sending HTML only, the text-only folks wanted to know where to unsubscribe. So I coded a special line: "For you text-only readers, here's your unsubscribe link" and rather than an A HREF tag, I just programmed the full, VERP unsubscribe link into the mail message.

The point of this story is that by adding a plain-text full unsub link, we dropped from 10-20 complaints a week to 2-3 complaints a year. Important feature and you can hand-code it, if necessary.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings halasyt,

Just touching base with you to let you know that we have not forgotten about you nor your issue and to keep this ticket from falling off into the ticket system abyss.

Hopefully Cole is much closer to his mentioned release.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings everyone,

Just touching base to let you all know we have not forgotten about you and that it is indeed true that Cole has been recoding a brand new version of this plugin and had it not been for a series of family tragedies I am sure Cole would have had this new and his first release out already.

Now that he is back with us I am sure he is kicking butt to get these issues and others dealt with asap - and I look forward to his upcoming debut of this very plugin.

Sincerely, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.