multiple chat boxes and won't close

I'm having issues with the chat spamming the screen, for myself and another user testing (different platforms and browsers, no multiple browsers open). Only one should open. The other issue is that the last time we tested chat, neither one of us can close the chat box window. We have both already selected Leave Chat (the option is gone now because it states we have left chat). I've even tried logging out, closing my browser and clearing cache. I can't get rid of it! I can only minimize it because it refuses to die. Also, I think it would be better usability for an X to close the chat box...it's what users are most familiar with and requires only one click. Thanks for any help you can provide. How can I attach screen shots?

• Paul

@DRAN

I'm having issues with the chat spamming the screen, for myself and another user testing (different platforms and browsers, no multiple browsers open). Only one should open.

From your screenshots it shows multiple invites to private chats to you from some other users. At the moment every time another user clicks the invite it will create a new private chat invite. This is by design. This may change in the future.

The other issue is that the last time we tested chat, neither one of us can close the chat box window. We have both already selected Leave Chat (the option is gone now because it states we have left chat). I've even tried logging out, closing my browser and clearing cache. I can't get rid of it! I can only minimize it because it refuses to die

When another user invites you or someone else to private chat there is a record stored into the chat database tables. So even if you close the browser or for that matter use a different browser the invites will still be there. Once you click the 'Leave Chat' from the settings menu it closes out the private session for you. Others participating in the private chat can remain.

Also, I think it would be better usability for an X to close the chat box...it's what users are most familiar with and requires only one click.

Yes, you would think this would be universal. However in some beta testing having the 'X' created more issue in that users were accidentally closing the private chats then frustrated because they meant to click on something else and could not reenter the private chats. So we decided to make this less single click. The user has to click on the gear menu then select the leave chat to close the private chat. I know thins seems strange to me as well. We will probably make some future change to bring back the 'X' and add some 'Are you sure...' prompt. But for now it is what it is. Sorry.

• Paul

@DRAN

The other issue is that the last time we tested chat, neither one of us can close the chat box window. We have both already selected Leave Chat (the option is gone now because it states we have left chat)

Rereading the comment/question above I wanted to provide some clarification. The 'Leave Chat' menu option is only shown on the private chats. If you also have the bottom corner chat enabled you will see another similar chat box. It should be understood this bottom corner chat is global and not a private chat. You do not leave the bottom corner chat since it is intended to be on all pages.

• DRAN

Thanks for your response. The chat box used to close completely after leaving chat. For some odd reason it remains now. We've tested this several times before this issue suddenly occurred. We went back into chat now, and I sent a msg through this open box (it doesn't identify to whom I am sending the msg, so if I was previously speaking with more than one user last time, this would be a problem. Who would I be sending it to? Now it only gives me the option to Clear Chat. There has to be an option to close/leave chat. It was working before. This has to be a bug or perhaps there is an option that exists that somehow was reset. If this option doesn't exist, this is definitely a bug that needs fixing by the developer.

Regarding window spamming. I believe this is caused by the program taking long to load with no loading indicator, therefore the user assumes they had not clicked the first time. There should be something in place to prevent multiple loadings. And it is only one user in that screen shot, not more than one user as you described. The username is clearly visible as well. Thanks again! I look forward to a solution :slight_smile:

• DRAN

Thanks again for your help. I found the answer on my own regarding the box not being removed. Something must have been reset. In Chat Settings Site -- Box Appearance -- Display Bottom Corner Chat? had gone from disabled to enabled. I changed it back to Disabled. Hopefully in the future the chat opening once only will be something that can be modified as users tend to keep clicking the chat option thinking it isn't loading. Just a thought and thank you!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.