Multiple Child Themes within WordPress Multisite?

Is it possible to have multiple child themes from one parent theme?

So you have one hero parent and then hero-child-1 and hero-child-2 however, when i add more than one child with the same Template: it only loads one and i can only enable one? Can i have multiple children from one parent within WordPress multisite install?

• Majid

Hey uol
    I hope you are doing great today :slight_smile:

Yes it's possible to have multiple child themes from the same parent template in a multisite, just make sure the theme names are different otherwise you will end up with only one template, like you mentioned.

The style.css file of the child themes should be something like this

/*
    Theme Name:     Sample-theme
    Theme URI:
    Description:    Twentysixteen child theme.
    Author:         Me
    Author URI:
    Template:       twentysixteen
    Version:        0.1.0
    */

And for the 2nd

/*
    Theme Name:     Sample-theme-2
    Theme URI:
    Description:    Twentysixteen child theme.
    Author:         Me
    Author URI:
    Template:       twentysixteen
    Version:        0.1.0
    */

I'm using Twenty Sixteen theme as a parent, so you have to change that accordingly.
    I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Majid

• Nahid

Hey uol !
    Hope you are doing well today!

Does the theme name only work without spaces and does it relate to the folder name or does that have no baring.

No, you can have spaces in the theme name and it doesn't necessarily have to relate to the folder name. It is recommended to not use numbers in the theme name as suggested in the WordPress codex here. And yes, you can have "Sample Theme 2" as your theme name if you intend to.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need any further assistance regarding this. Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Nahid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.