Multiple Database Questions

Simple questions after finally getting this going and please excuse my ignorance:

1) Once the conversion is done and everything seems to be working, can I edit out the "old database" information out of config.php? Assuming it no longer is needed. Does it really matter?
2) New blogs are automatically added to the right DB by their hash? Is that correct? Don't have to do it through the scripts?
3) I am using 16 databases and seriously ever doubt to need more than that, but is the process to get to more than 16 database (256) easy enough?
4) Other than wp-db.php there really isn't any other things that we need to watch for with the upcoming "new" release above 1.3.3?
5) The VIP-Blog move tool with DB-Console seems pretty cool. Is the major benefit that VIP blogs can have their own "dedicated" database? Is there any other benefit?

I know these are really simple questions with more than likely simple answers, but reading through the threads, I wasn't able to really get definitively clear answers. If they are there, I apologize in advance

Trent

• Andrew

Hiya,

1) Once the conversion is done and everything seems to be working, can I edit out the "old database" information out of config.php? Assuming it no longer is needed. Does it really matter?

I recommend just leaving it in and setting it to your global db.

2) New blogs are automatically added to the right DB by their hash? Is that correct? Don't have to do it through the scripts?

Yep, they're added to the databases depending on their hash. Do what through scripts?

3) I am using 16 databases and seriously ever doubt to need more than that, but is the process to get to more than 16 database (256) easy enough?

Well, 16 -> 256 isn't that bad. It's just like going from 1 -> 16 sixteen times.

Now going from 256 -> 4096 is a different story. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy

4) Other than wp-db.php there really isn't any other things that we need to watch for with the upcoming "new" release above 1.3.3?

We'll be releasing a new version of the multi-db package for WPMU 1.5 (i'm assuming). The current version works just fine for 1.3.3.

5) The VIP-Blog move tool with DB-Console seems pretty cool. Is the major benefit that VIP blogs can have their own "dedicated" database? Is there any other benefit?

The DB-Console will actually be going away in the next release. Menu space is valuable and I don't think the feature offers enough to get it's own tab. As for the VIP blogs, getting their own db or a db with just a few blogs is the only advantage. The next release will also be capable of having multiple VIP databases (hat tip Luke).

How do you get plugins to direct their calls to the global tables? Do you have to change all plugins and hard code the table data?

You add the table names (minus the base prefix) to the arrays in wp-config.php.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Luke

Thanks for the mention, Andrew.

My overall concept with all that is twofold.

Sometimes you may have blogs which are "VIP's",
    that you want to be in either a small group, or a
    private database.

Second, is that it could be used as an upsale feature,
    to draw additional revenue as part of a package or something.

The logic behind all of this is simple as well.
    What runs faster? A db with 7000 tables, or
    one with 20?

If the answer was either "they're the same" or
    the 7000 one, then there wouldn't be a need for
    this plugin at all, right.

So, what can be done (and I really like this, which
    is why I passed along my "hack" to Andrew a bit back)
    is speeding up your important clients, or paid ones,
    and giving them a tick more performance than the
    average joe.

Also, as a note, I always stick the main blog in it's own
    db as well. Can't have the host looking chumpish, can we?

• Luke

I'd have to think about it. I've been doing it by hand for the few places I have that in place.

Big picture, it wouldn't be much more than moving the tables to a specified VIP db, and writing it to the config file. Mainly because it's something I keep pretty exclusive, and there aren't that many people that get moved to one.

The kicker I see here is if it's a "paid" service somewhere, and the next month the package isn't renewed.

I should be coding again tonight, and I'll give it some thought while I finish coding up some other tasking. Provided I can still see straight by then. Been a long day and night thus far.