Multiple Domains

Hello,

Working for a friend/client on a simple photography wordpress site. He has two domains. He wants both sites to look the same but that his portfolio sits on one site and his blog sits on another site.Ideally, it will work in the same the wpmudev=site/wpmu.org sites work. Is this the multi Domains plug in and will other wpmudev plug ins such as infinite SEO extend to cover both sites?

If you could let me know that would be great.

Thanks

Nick

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

As you know Multisite will let users sign up for their own site.

Multi-Domains will let you offer different domains so your users could have:

client1.domain1.com
    client1.domain2.com

So this doesn't sound like the solution you want or need.

If you simple want to map domains to certain websites within your installation then you actually need Domain Mapping:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

So that would turn a subsite like:

subsite1.domain.com

into:

your-other-domain.com

There is information on the usage tab about getting that set up.

This way he can have a blog on one and his profile on the other with unique domains.

Infinite SEO will work in a multisite for each site.

Hope this helps.

• NickP
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi, Is this area private? I'd like to send you the two domains which will explain my point a little better. Had a look at the info you have sent over...all makes sense and seems appropriate. At present have a little web of re-directs which is not ideal so am sure once you view the two sites it will make sense just not sure if this is step too advanced for what im after.

If you could confirm this area is private, that would be great.

Thanks again,

nick

• NickP
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey, Hope i didn't confuse things but all i'm trying to achieve is the same function that you guys have with your site wpmudev.org and your blog wpmu.org.

I'd like to achieve the same result of users switching easily between the two via a static main menu.

At present they are two same theme sites with a load of re-directs on one pointing which im pretty sure is not the easiest or best approach. So what tool do you use to archive the current switch process.

Hope to hear form someone soon.

Many thanks as always

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello Nick,

I've taken a look at the sites you sent via email. With the sites being separate, I think the best thing you can do is to modify the menu in the site you are using for the blog. Use "Custom Links" and send the requests to the other domain. That would be the simplest solution.

Let me know how it goes!

Best regards,
    Alex Rohmann

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.