Multiple memberships members (Membership 2 Pro and CoursePress)

I am using coursepress and membership 2 pro with the Multiple memberships add on. However, I cannot figure out the protection rules, when a user has multiple memberships, the course content is not available

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello Craig

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

Do you allow me to access your site and test this better ? If that's okay to you then please grant me staff access to your site via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access. Please take a look at this screenshot for easier navigation. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• Craig
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Access granted.

okay, so i figured out the content issue. However, I did it trying to figure out my original problem (which is also protection rules) about having only the course show up on the courses archive page that is associated with the purchased membership.

Here is the scenario. Client signs up for a membership (course) and is told they must now go to the "courses" tab and find their associated course and enroll. When they go to the courses tab, all courses are listed (per the protection rules to allow multiple memberships) and all say "free" (because membership 2 is handling the payments, not coursepress). The customer then tries to enroll in an additional course and does not gain access because they have not actually signed up for the membership and thus content is protected. This is very confusing.

I am trying to figure out how to make it so that only purchased courses (memberships) show up on courses archive page, otherwise, this is very confusing for the customer and keeps my support inbox full. How do I do this?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Craig,

Thanks for granting access and for providing additional info.

In M2 there are some differences on how certain protections work, for example URL Protection will protect the URL only when you access it, it will not remove posts from list of posts as well.

Single post protection on other hand should hide the post from both posts list page, courses in this case, and direct access by URL.

In your case I see that you have protected your course via URL, so can you try protecting your courses in Custom Post Type Items section and then they should not show in all courses list.
    For example, if you protect Course_One for Membership_One, user with Membership_Two shouldn't see Course_One in his list of courses.

Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Craig

Predrag,

Please check again (access should still be available). The content is protected using custom post types, in fact that is the whole issue, figuring out how to apply those custom post type protection rules.

I currently have all paid courses protected by their associated membership. I have free courses protected by all memberships. All associated posts (units, modules, etc) are protected by all memberships.

When a customer registers for one class, only the associated course pops up in the course archive page, however, when a second course is chosen, then the course archive page reads "no courses found" (and I do have the multiple memberships add on selected). This means that If a customer were to register for two memberships before actually enrolling in one (which happens with both free and paid courses), they would never be able to enroll, even after having paid. Or, if they are in the middle of one course and decide to add a course, then they lose access to the new course (archive page will read no courses found) and since they cannot deactivate their membership, they will never be able to add another course.

Please feel free to make a test user and test how the system works from the user side, or I can give you the user/pass for mine since it only has subscriber status.

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello Craig

You have answer of your question in itself.

1) Protect courses with a standard membership
    There are two ways to go for this, first one is that you crate simple standard membership and then protect each unit's and course URL in member's protection rules. This will stop any user not having membership for course access. You'll need to protect unit's and module's url too, which you can easily identify by visiting each piece of your course. To follow this way, you'll need URL Protection addon activated.

Along with this please enable Individual Custom Posts( Membership 2 > Addon ) add on and then via Memberships > Protection Rules > Custom Post Type Items protect pieces of course.

This way your one course will have full protection of membership you chose to protect it with.

Hope this helps you. If you have any confusion about this solution, I am here to help you further.
    Best Regards,
    Milan

• Craig

Milan,

Thank you very much, this took care of my multiple memberships issue.

So here is how I am configured now:

1) Each course is protected by URL and it's associated membership
    2) In custom post types all associated units, modules etc are protected, however, the course is not protected.

When the user goes to the courses page to enroll all available memberships (or courses) are listed. If user has membership the system allows them to enroll, if not, they get the content protected screen. Is there any way to:

1) define the protection rules so that only active memberships (or their associated courses) are displayed in the "courses" tab or
    2) do anything to make this step more effeicient

Thank you again for your help, I know you have made my user very happy.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Craig,

I'm glad Milan helped you with your initial issue, that's great it's now working for you!

1) define the protection rules so that only active memberships (or their associated courses) are displayed in the "courses" tab or

I'm not sure if I'm following your on this one. The active/inactive membership would mean that the user has/has not an access to the content that's protected with this membership. Any content protected with any membership will be visible in some cases and not visible in some other cases.

For example:
    - there's a Membership A
    - there's a Post 1
    - there are User A and User B
    - the Post 1 is protecteded with Membership A
    - the User A is a member of Membership A and the User B is not a member
    - as a result the same Post 1 will be visible to User A as long as this user maintains active subscription/members and will not be visible to User B

That said, could you please elaborate a bit on what exactly do you mean by "only active memberships (or their associated courses) are displayed in the "courses" tab"? I feel I'm missing the point here :slight_smile:

Looking forward to your replay,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.