Multiple problems with migration from wp.com to dreamhost

I am so frustrated with DreamHost and Wordpress.org.
I recently migrated my site from WP.com to DreamHost and I've had nothing but problems. I've tried several themes, and have now landed back on the theme we used at WP.com - but much of our menu didn't migrate, when I make changes to my menu they don't 'stick', links from my dreamhost site to another site don't work reliably.

I am using Academica theme. I have tried Spirit - totally didn't work, couldn't get customize the menu so parts to put in everything we used to have on it. Then we tried Spirit with the same results.

I have tried to create links from my site to another site - and they don't work right either.

I want to add my office assistant to my account with full access to modify things - but I don't know what a php file is or where to find it so when some helpful person at dreamhost sent me a link to a file - it wasn't step by step so it might as well have been written in Ancient Egyptian.

I'd love to somehow have one person at dreamhost who would wtay with me to iron out all the kinks.

I need help:
1) getting my office assistant added
2) fixing the menu
3)fixing the links
4) rearranging the header on the site

I had hoped to have a more functional site with dreamhost and wordpress, but our old WYSIWYG site worked better from the get-to than our new site has. Our site has been functionally down for about 2 weeks now while we're tried to wrestle with these problems- and I'm just about ready to ask for a refund.

• Ash

Hello @Judith

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

1) getting my office assistant added

Create an user account for him from Users > Add New and give him appropriate role.

2) fixing the menu
    3)fixing the links
    4) rearranging the header on the site

These need to be explained well. What do you mean by fixing and rearranging. Please explain with example. Also, enable support access from WPMU DEV > Support, we will try our best to help.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Cheers
    Ash

• Judith

HI Ash.
    1) I added my assistant as an administrator but she still cannot see the WPMU DEV menu.
    2) fixing the menu - our site was formerly a wordpress.com site using the Academica theme. When we imported the files into our dreamhost site, academica theme only about 70% of the menu loaded correctly. When we try to add in pieces that are listed under <menus> <pages> it totally messes up how the menu looks on the website. We have tried turning the cache off to make changes - and that really messes things up. When we leave the cache turned on none of the changes we make do anything - they don't 'stick'.
    Take a look at http://www.cobblestonehealth.com and you'll how messed up the menu is. It should have several extensive drop-down menus in the nav bar - not a list of every page on the site! Items are listed (e.g. gallery, login, sample page, single page 2.php) that aren't even on our original nav bar, and tons of drop down menu isn't even there that should be!
    Information that we had formatted as tables on the old site has migrated as lists instead of tables in every article.
    It's all just messed up! and since I'm not a techie I have no idea what's gone wrong or how to fix it.

We had the header arranged a little differently on our WP.Com site - had customized it - and those changes did not come over either. We had the graphic banner at the top with the nav bar immediately under the graphic banner.

If I don't get solid, clear instructions on how to fix this mess, I will cancel my site, make it known that DH has crummy support, and go elsewhere.

• Ash

Hello @Judith

I hope you are well today.

I still need help getting full access to the wpmu dev for my office assistant, Linda. I set her up a few days ago as a user/administrator and she cannot access the wpmu dev dashboard.

Please find the ID of that user. If you go to Users > All Users and edit an user, you will see the URL like this: /wp-admin/user-edit.php?user_id=12&wp_http_referer=%2Fttt%2Fwp-admin%2Fusers.php

Here that user's id is 12. Now you have to add following line in your wp-config.php:

define("WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER", "1, 12");

Here 12 is that user's id. Si, find the correct USER ID and add in the above domain and add in wp-config.php file. You can add many users, just add all of them by comma separated.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• Tyler Postle

Hey Judith,

Hope you're doing well today! Sorry for the delay, are you still having any issues here?

The wp-config.php file is located in the root of your WordPress installation. Usually accessed via FTP or through your cPanel's file manager :slight_smile:

We have an awesome guide to the wp-config.php on our blog too: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-wp-config-file-guide/

If you're still having any further troubles here just let us know Judith, more than happy to help further if needed.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Judith

Oh Tyler- if you only knew the nightmare this has been and continues to be. I'm not so sure moving to wordpress was a good idea, and I'm quite sure DreamHost was a really bad idea.
    1) the menu has a limit to the number of items it will hold. When I add things to the dropdown menu, the limitations remove items from the bottom of the menu structure.
    2) I've have added my assistant as an administrator. She does most of the weekly updates to the website. She cannot see the wpmu dashboard tab and so does not have access to upfront.
    3) I intensely dislike that spirit theme (which is supposed to be totally customisable) does not let me add 'global' items to the sidebars. I'd love to have my contact info, photos, newsletter opt-in, and upcoming classes on every page - but to do that means they either have to be in the header or in the footer, or they have to be manually added to every page - none of these options is satisfactory.
    4) I have 2 different topics (personal thoughts, business building ideas) that I blog on. Each needs to appear under different nav bar tabs. How do I make this happen?
    The frustration (bordering on anger) that I feel with all of this is huge. The amount of time it takes to get tech help is delaying everything. The problems I have had with this website migration have totally hamstrung my business, stalled other projects that need the website to be functional, and has cost thousands in direct expenses and lost revenue. Any help you can offer to resolve these issues will be tremendously appreciated! Ash, Michelle, and Predreg have been working on some of these as well - and we seem to take 1 step forward, 3/4 of a step back on most attempts to resolve things.

• Ash

Hello @Judith

This is always better to create separate thread for separate issue to avoid confusion :slight_smile:

1. Yes, there is a limitation of creating menus, this is defined on php.ini file in your server, definitely you don't have access of that file in a shared hosting. But by default, the limitation is 72. You don't have 72+ menu items, do you?

2. Glad to know that this issue is solved.

3. Yes, it seems there is no way to create global sidebar out of the box. Let me ask @Tyler Postle if he has any idea.

4. You can create two category in your site called - personal thoughts and business building ideas. The from Appearances > Menus you can select categories from left panel and add to menu.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• Judith

HI Ash,
    1. Yes, I had more than 72 items. My website is a repository of information that is constantly growing. I typically add 1 - 2 files plus a blog entry each week. I will need to have the limit increased. Is this possible?
    3. I'm looking forward to having spirit theme updated to allow global sidebar editing. I hope it comes available soon :slight_smile:
    4. I did create 2 categories - and didn't understand/couldn't see how it would up as 2 separate blogs. The point is moot now. When I change my host I am also splitting the information to make 3 separate web sites which will split the blog information, too. Even with the 3 sites it is highly likely 2 of the sites will grow to need menus that will accommodate more than 72 items.

• Ash

Hello @Judith

#1. Well, you need to discuss with your host then. As I said, this is defined in php.ini file that sits in your server. So you need to ask your host if they can configure something specially for you. Another way is to have a page, where you can include all links manually.

#3: Yes, it will be a great feature :slight_smile:

#4: They won't be 2 separate blogs, they will be 2 parts of single blog. If you go to Posts > Categories there you will get the category view link.

To have 2 separate blogs, you will need a multisite. In a multisite you can as many sites as you want from a single wordpress. Here are some links about multisite.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wordpress-multisite/
    http://wpmu.org/wordpress-multisite-guide/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/wordpress-wordpress-mu-and-wordpress-multisite/
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network
    http://mashable.com/2012/07/26/beginner-guide-wordpress-multisite/

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• Judith

Hi Ash,
    You have been remarkable with the amount of help you have given me.
    1) resolved by moving to a new host who offers room for up to 2000 menu items.
    3) we'l l wait and cross our fingers for that change to come through
    4) I'm going to split my site into 3 sites with narrower topics so I can have a blog for each:slight_smile:

I think we can close this thread now :slight_smile:
    Thanks again.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.