Testing my free trial: (Sorry is isn't 'good support ticket form' but I need some direction just to get me on the playing field :slight_smile:
My name is Mark. I recently started a Web Development company, DMT ENTERPRIZE. Consider me a knowledgeable novice at web development actively improving my game. I am advanced as a computer geek with 35 years of experience with computers, OSes, programming, etc.
I created my first sites with Joomla and I am now focusing on WP exclusively. I am actively engaged in learning all aspects of site development, especially e-commerce sites at the moment.
For this ticket, I'm seeking advice and resouces to guide me in organizing sites on my newly-acquired web host (Siteground Shared GoGeek) with my 2 existing Joomla customer sites and my 1, in development WP e-commerce site. In the immediate future, I want to create a couple of multisite networks and/or maybe even a multi-network installation of WP - some for e-commerce and some not.
My main concern has to do with hosting directory heirarchy and domain mapping - details which should best be decided on now at the onset because they will be difficult/expensive to change later as my sites/networks grow.
I have these sites:
1. adventurefloors.com: a basic customer site using Joomla. It is installed in ~/public_html/sites/af. It is complete; in maintenance mode. I may redesign it using WP at some point in the future.
2. macnampa.org: a private company intranet site using Joomla. It is installed in ~/public_html/sites/mno. This is in continuing long-term development - when my client wants new features and as time allows.
3 starrycollection.com: a WP e-commerce site in early development. It is installed in ~/public_html/sites/mstc. I started with WooCommerce, but I'm considering restarting w/ Multisite & MarketPress since I have other e-commerce sites in my development queue.
NOTE: I don't have a site at ~/public_html/ and I don't need one... it's domain is the default subdomain give by Siteground when I created the hosting account.
At this point, I need:
1. How may I best lay out my site host to support existing sites and make future multi-site networks easy and viable to create and access. I expect my networks to be domain mapped subdir networks, but I can also use subdomains... Honestly I'm not even sure how to ask the question. Maybe this: is the process of domain-mapping mostly .htaccess tricks which must work for all sites/networks on the host?... How do domain mapping plugins fit in with .htaccess and WP itself to make sure different domain requests find the right site, multisite network, or page? Without experience, and with lots of options, I'm pretty confused about whole thing.
2. Related to SSL certificates/receiving payments... is it possible (and a good idea) to create a single payment processing site which would be connected across a network of MarketPress sites? Although it would have a different domain than the sites it supports (which is acceptible), it could use a single SSL certificate and receive secure payments from all connected sites.
3. And finally, show me how to best leverage your resouces to justify a continued membership and long term relationship.
Please offer me any advice, considerations and reference resources you can.