"Multiple" use cases in one WP install of Membership2 Pro

I haven't installed Membership2 Pro yet in this site, so I just chose dashboard in the drop-down. My question is this:

Using Membership2 Pro, would it be possible to have a scenario where:

1. it primarily functions to signup new members to the site at certain membership levels, and based on the level they choose they pay a certain amount per month (or per year, less $$ per year), and based on that level they have access to certain pages associated with that membership type

2. for specific other cases, on a particular page, we could setup another login with paywall for viewers of one specific event

Essentially the site is meant to be a membership site where members pay a monthly fee to host video streaming pages. Sometimes those events will then be sold to our member's audience, so we need to have a separate one-time-use paywall protecting individual posts sometimes for these events, but then in the background there is still the "foundational" membership system around the entire site.

I hope this makes sense, if not let me know and I'll try to articulate differently! Thank you!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Jacob,

I hope you're well today and thanks for your question!

As this is a "multiple" case, let me then handle it one by one :slight_smile:

1. it primarily functions to signup new members to the site at certain membership levels, and based on the level they choose they pay a certain amount per month (or per year, less $$ per year), and based on that level they have access to certain pages associated with that membership type

Sure, this is a basic feature and Membership2 is designed with this in mind.
    You can setup separate prices for different memberships and setup different access rules for each.

2. for specific other cases, on a particular page, we could setup another login with paywall for viewers of one specific event

Yes, you can. You may use a default (core) WP "post password protection" or use for example use our "Pay with Like" plugin to implement "social payment".

You can find the latter one here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pay-with-a-like/

Both this solutions should work even if the page is "membership protected" so you can use either as a simple protection for unregistered users or an additional protection for members (or members of certain membership(s)).

Essentially the site is meant to be a membership site where members pay a monthly fee to host video streaming pages. Sometimes those events will then be sold to our member's audience, so we need to have a separate one-time-use paywall protecting individual posts sometimes for these events, but then in the background there is still the "foundational" membership system around the entire site.

This is totally doable with Membership2. Apart what I've just said you can just setup a "one time" memberships to protect only these occasional events. I think this will be the simplest way to handle this.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Jacob

Thanks Adam! So my concern was simultaneously having the "foundation" site for primary users be based upon Membership2 Pro, so all primary users are seeing the protected content regularly based on that functionality, but then offering the additional protected/pay content with the same infrastructure for secondary users.

As an example:

Primary are paying members of the site. They have signed up for our event webpage services and pay a monthly fee. They have access to posts they create only as well as a few specific pages based upon their membership level.

Then, a few of these primary members want to create their own paywall-protected post, which they can access, people who signup for access to their one specific paywall-protected post can access (secondary members), but not other regular primary users, and "secondary members" cannot access other posts from the "primary member," but ONLY the one specific page they have paid for access to.

So primary users might be event planners, and secondary users might be the specific attendees of one event hosted by a particular event planner. Event planners can see their own events but not others, and their attendees can pay for access to their event posts but that's it.

That being said, would those two levels of membership still be possible with one instance of Membership2 Pro on a WP site?

Thanks again!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Jacob!

Let me again go through this step by step, I hope you don't mind that :slight_smile:

1. There is "Planner" membership. It's a recurring payment membership. Protection is setup so members cannot access the site excerpt:
    - create/edit/view posts (of their own)
    - create/edit/view event (of their own)
    - view some other specific pages

That's the first step and it's absolutely doable with Membership2. You'll most likely need to enable add-ons (Admin Side Protection, Advanced menu protection, Category Protection, Individual Posts, Individual Custom Posts, Protect Special Pages) and you will be able to then to setup access rules for this.

2. There's a separate group of users that are "Attendees" and they are only allowed to access one particular post/page for a defined price. The price can be different and for each protected post and the "Planner" should be able to set this protection ("paywall") without your help.

Despite what I've said before, here I'd go for our "Pay Per View" plugin witch does exactly this: it's a simple "single-content one-time-payment" paywall:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pay-per-view/

Apart from overall settings, there's a button on a WP post editor toolbar that let's you (or users allowed to edit that post) setup protection: configure time, period and add description.

For the "Attendees" group then you won't need any membership then or you can create a free one if you want to completely hide entire content of your site from guest visitors.

That's how I see it. I think that should work for you :slight_smile:

One last plugin that might become handy for adding "finishing touches to such setup would be a "User Role Editor" but it's just in case you'd need to additionally tweak user capabilites:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Jacob

Hi team, I had another thought about how to do this, can you review and tell me if it's feasible?

Only use Membership2 Pro plugin.

Create my standard users levels, such as "basic," "advanced," "premium," and so on. Those options would show up on the primary signup page.

As-needed, create specific user levels for individual events, but DO NOT display these on the primary signup page, and then create a specific signup page for a specific event where it ONLY displays the relevant specific user level that relates to that event. So then it would behave like:

Group A: Standard users signup for the service. This gives them access to certain pages based on their membership level. They signup using a standard signup page linked from the homepage.

Group B: Attendees of specific events help by a given "standard user," who are given a specific URL such as EngageStreaming.com/events/ABC-fundraiser-gala-2015/ - and on that page they are given only ONE option to signup, which is specific to that event.

Group B would then be able to login to the website any time during that event or thereafter to access that one page, having paid for it once.

Group A would be charged monthly for whatever type of membership they signed up for with the membership packages.

Would something like that work, eliminating the need for separate plugins?

Thank you!

p.s. one other quick question: is it possible to create promotional codes with Membership2 Pro, to offer free or discounted admission to a page/post?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @Jacob,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Ok, if I understand this correctly you can do this with use of shortcodes included in the plugin, so here's a basic example.
    Let's say you have a membership with ID 5 (you can see ID on membership page, see screenshot below), create one page that will be visible to visitors and add this shortcode:
    [ms-membership-buy id="5" label="Buy now!"]
    Now create your second membership and let's say it has ID 6.
    Create another page which will be visible only for users with membership 5 and in there add this shortcode:
    [ms-membership-buy id="6" label="Buy now!"]

You can find more shortcodes and info about them by going to Membership 2 > Hels > Shortcodes tab.

p.s. one other quick question: is it possible to create promotional codes with Membership2 Pro, to offer free or discounted admission to a page/post?

You can activate coupons by going to Membership 2 > Add-ons.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.