Multiple WordPress issues

I have a few problems with my WordPress website
1. Warning on site for insecure scripts
2. Eliminate Render blocking scripts.
3. Removed unused CSS.

  • Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

    Hello Malkiat

    I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

    I checked your staging site (as I didn't have access to the live one) and in order to address these issues there are some thing that should be done.

    1. Warning on site for insecure scripts

    This is cased by a custom CSS that you got on site. Please go to the "Divi -> Theme Options -> General" page and scroll it all the way down until Custom CSS. You'll notice that there's Zoho webfonts URL in that code twice. The URL looks like this:

    https://webfonts.zoh...static.com/opensans/font.woff

    You'll want to tweak it on your live site (I already did this on staging one) to be this:

    https://webfonts.zohostatic.com/opensans/font.woff

    Once you save changes and clear Hummingbird's Page Cache and cache on Asset Optimization page, the Mixed Content/insecure content issue will be solved.

    2. Eliminate Render blocking scripts.
    3. Removed unused CSS.

    I'm putting these two together as they are related. CSS on the site comes (apart from that custom one that you added) from the theme and the plugins that you're using on site. Google PageSpeed does report some of that code and if you run PageSpeed Insights on the site and expand the results tab for "Remove unused CSS" you'll see a list of those CSS resources, pointing to the theme and plugins.

    The thing is that unless you're ready to remove some of these plugins and/or get features provided by them custom developed for you - there's no direct way to "remove" any of that CSS. What can be done though, and should help quite a bit, is CSS optimization.

    This takes us to the "Remove render blocking resources" issue that can be addressed using Hummingbird "Asset Optimization".

    The way to do this is as follows:

    1. Go to the "Hummingbird -> Asset Optimization" page and enable "Advanced" mode by clicking on the icon next to "Clear Cache" button there (I already did this on staging site)

    2. Temporarily disable "WPMU DEV CDN' optoin in Asset Optimization

    2. Use "Clear Cache" and the "Re-scan" files buttons to make sure you're working with the "fresh and proper" resources

    3. Next to each of the CSS and JS files you'll see set of buttons. They are, from left to right:

    - "compress", "combine", "move to footer", "inline", "exclude" - for CSS
    - "compress", "combine", "move to footer", "load after the page is loaded" and "exclude" - for JS files

    The "exclude" one should be ignored for all files, as well as those that are "grayed out"

    4. The goal here is to, simply speaking, get as many of these options enabled for as many files as possible without breaking the site. This is a bit daunting task and since I don't know the site as well as you do, it'd be best to be done by you as you're able to see notice any unwanted changes on the site.

    a) enable these options for 2-3 files starting from top of the list
    b) use "publish changes" button at the bottom of the page
    c) in separate browser window open the front-end of the site as a visitor (not logged-in) and browse the site for a while to trigger processing
    d) check if everything's working fine on the site

    e) if some aspects of the site are "breaking", you will actually need to experiment a bit with a combination of these options for those files that you enabled them for; keep making changes to enabled options for these files (make sure to "publish changes" before checking the site) until you got as many of them enabled as possible while the site is working fine

    f) repeat steps a - f for next 2-3 files on the list and keep that going on until you complete full list (CSS and JS).

    At this point, you should have JS and CSS asssets optimized as much as possible and that should help with both "Render blocking resources" and "Remove unused CSS".

    Once that's done, try enabling WPMU DEV CDN in Asset Optimization and see if it's getting things even better or not - then either keep it enabled or disable it back, depending on the result.

    That being said, there's one more important thing here. I think you might have some heavy caching enabled on server so before going through the steps above, please make sure that you have flushed it and disabled entirely (you should be able to do this via cPanel; usually there are two or free "kinds of cache" enabled on SiteGround, depending on the hosting plan).

    This all together should help with these issues that you asked about.

    Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.