Multiple WP installations on 1 domain?

I’m in a situation where I need to run a 2nd WP installation to add functionality to my site. I want to start curating relevant news and information to my readers. The problem is that curated posts are quite different from normal posts and thus require a different presentation. So it makes sense to use a different theme for those posts.

Let’s say that my main blog is at domain.com. The news section would then either be at news.domain.com or domain.com/news. I wanted to ask the WP experts here what’s the best way to implement this?

If I run the additional installation at domain.com/news/, will the 2 WP installations interfere with each other? Will the .htaccess file of the main site override the .htaccess file of the 2nd installation? Since the 2nd installation is in a sub-directory if the main domain?

How would you guys implement this? Custom post types on the main domain? Multisite installation? On a sub-domain? Any other ideas?

• PC

Hello there,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

If I run the additional installation at domain.com/news/, will the 2 WP installations interfere with each other? Will the .htaccess file of the main site override the .htaccess file of the 2nd installation? Since the 2nd installation is in a sub-directory if the main domain?

While having 2 separate installs on a domain will work without any issues, I'd still recommend WordPress Multisite.

It will have a few benefits over 2 separate installs

1: Single database
    2: Better control using same dashboard
    3: Users can login to one site and become login to the other site
    4: One time installation of plugins and themes.

and a lot more.

So according to me WP Multisite is the best way to go :slight_smile:

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• seppo

Thanks for your reply.

I have some hesitations regarding multisite. As I understand, some plugins don't work for multisites?

The same database is good in one hand but bad on other hand. On the main blog I have plugins that display related posts under each post. I don't want to have the news style posts show up there. I'm not sure if that would even happen in the case of multisite?

I use a separate membership software to manage user authentication. So the user login thing is not really an issue.

I guess I'm asking whether there are any real downsides to using mutlisite vs. 2 separate installations?

• PC

Hey there Seppo,

Thanks for posting back.

As I understand, some plugins don't work for multisites?

That is true. A few plugins are not for multisite. In the same way there are are a few plugins which are only for multisites.

Most of the common plugins are compatible with both single and multisites.

So if your plugins' major count is single site compatibility only, you should go with the single site route.

The same database is good in one hand but bad on other hand. On the main blog I have plugins that display related posts under each post. I don't want to have the news style posts show up there. I'm not sure if that would even happen in the case of multisite?

Database will be same but the tables will still be different. Both the sites' posts will be saved separately so if you are querying related posts on one site, it will not show posts from the second site. (Unless you are using Post Indexer and showing global posts)

I use a separate membership software to manage user authentication. So the user login thing is not really an issue.

No worries then. You can use Single site as well.

I guess I'm asking whether there are any real downsides to using mutlisite vs. 2 separate installations?

No there are none I can think of listing here. You can have 2 separate installations on the same domain and they will both be operating separately.

I'd recommend using a subdomain instead of a subdirectory as that will avoid any conflicts with the permalinks.

eg. if you have a main site link as yoursite.com/news

and you create a subdirectory as yoursite.com/news, that would be conflict. So having news.yoursite.com would be a better idea :slight_smile:

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.