Multipress Install wont let me create site in subfolder though I cleared my public html completely

I have tried every thing to make it work but with no luck. When trying to active the network I get the same message.

"Because your install is not new, the sites in your WordPress network must use sub-domains. The main site in a sub-directory install will need to use a modified permalink structure, potentially breaking existing links."

My problem is I want all my sites to work with my SSL and it dont cover subdomains

I did use a quick install method, will that effect it any? PLEASE HELP!

my domain is libertyfind.com and I'm using HostGator

• Milan

Hello Keary

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

You are upgrading existing single install site to MultiSite right ? If this is the case then have you checked information given about upgrading site type on WordPress codex ?
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Before_You_Create_A_Network#WordPress_Settings_Requirements

There they have cleared stated that,

You cannot choose Sub-directory Install (for a path-based network) if your existing WordPress installation has been set up for more than a month, due to issues with existing permalinks. (This problem will be fixed in a future version.)

But there is also one documentation which gives us very vital information about changing network type on exiting upgraded networks. Please check it here,
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Multisite_Network_Administration#Switching_network_types

They have explained there why they are by default provide only subdomain install on exiting site to upgrade.

This is in order to ensure you don't have conflicts between pages (i.e. example.com/pagename ) and sites (i.e. example.com/sitename ). If you are confident you will not have this issue, then you can change this after you finish the initial setup.

So if you wish to have subdirectory setup and you are sure about that above issue will not affect your site then you can easily just change your subdomain based site to subdirectory based by adding this line in your wp-config.php file.

define( 'SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false );

This line should already be there on your end so just make its value to false. There is one more step we need to take here to ensure network gets configured well with subdirectory setup. :slight_smile:

htaccess
    You should add lines in yout htaccess file for subdirectory steup replacing existing ones :slight_smile:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

Hope this helps you. :slight_smile: Let us know if you find this confusing or need further advise.
    Cheers,
    Milan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.