Multipress network sites unstyled AND 'too many redirects' error in wp-adim

With NO plugin's active and only one theme installed into a new installation of wordpress....

I activated multipress, following the codex...

I set up for subfolders for the network sites (because I read that it was simpler than subdomains and that i could use the WPMUDEV domain mapping plugin to remap those folders to full domains)

I updated the .htaccess as indicated...

I updated the wp-config.php as indicated...

I added a network site from the dashboard....

The main site came online instantly. The networked site is there, but is unstyled and also when I click on the admin link for that networked site, it pens an error page in safari that indicates 'too many redirects'

I am hosting on linux with godaddy. The wordpress site is not my main domain there. The domain that we are using to do this is an addon domain, so the root of that domain is in a folder inside the main domain.

What do I need to do to fix the two problems: 1. unstyled network site and 2. no access to network site wpadmin?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Tore,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and sorry to see that you are having a hard time with your WordPress MultiSite installation.

The networked site is there, but is unstyled and also when I click on the admin link for that networked site, it pens an error page in safari that indicates 'too many redirects'

What is the URL to the site in question?

What are we working with?

WordPress 3.5.1?
    MultiSite or Solo?
    Buddy Press 1.7?
    Which is the theme name?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Tore
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

latest wp... 3.5.1

worked fine in solo, trying to multisite
    buddypress 1.7
    theme was the default twenty twelve or whatever, but i have now disabled that and have it set to pinboard which is what we want to use for this and all networked sites in the subfolders.

The problem exists with no plugins activated and only the default theme enabled. This was a fresh install last night.

It is currently hosted at godaddy on a linux server. it is not the main domain in my account so this domain is an addon domain, which means that the root of this domain is in a subfolder of the main domain, but has it's own ftp which has access only to the folder for the domain....
    which is...

http://tabcard.com

and the subfolder where the networked multisite wordpress blog lives is http://tabcard.com/sharesandsublets

I believe it is an .htaccess settings issue, but do not know how to correct that problem. I have placed the .htaccess in both the main account domain folder and the actual folder for tabard.com because i found that was supposed to be a solution to this issue that was noted in another help blog online. It did not work (so far).

I hope you can help.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.