Multisite

Re: WPMUG Domain Mapping plugin. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

Where can I find release notes and compatibility notices of your domain mapping plugin with the latest version of Wordpress ?

Wordpress.org does a fine job at scaring people away from using WP MU by stating
https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

Compatible up to: 4.0.12
Last Updated: 2 years ago

You would normally understand being on WP 4.6 to say away from WP MU as being last updated two years ago and being incompatible with the latest version of Wordpress.

However back to WPMUDEV Domain Mapping. Since what I am debating is the value of subscribing and making use of the plugin.

My biggest other grief is my partial success with mapping domain names to subdomain sites using the WP Multi-Network v1.8.1 plugin. It is UBER-undocumented. I do not need per se multi-network at this time. I'd rather be on a well supported multisite environment with properly supported domain mapping capabilities and it also seems Wordpress.org (especially JJJ) is scaring people away from using Domain Mapping in favour of his undocumented Multi-Network. For instance, just trying to understand how to create a Super Admin user over a 'Network Admin' user is really hard. How do heck am I supposed to do this ?

So my question regarding WPMUDEV. Do you need to have WP Multi Network installed in order to have a functional Multisite with Domain Mapping ? I guess not. But if you do have WP Multi Network installed as well as Multisite as well as WPMUDEV Domain Mapping, what is the role of the WP Multi Network inherent 'Domain Mapping'-to-network capability ?

Finally, what pisses me the most is the fact that as soon as I try replacing with just the TLD (domain.tld) an entry that use to be 'machine-name.domain.tld' inside the WP Multi Network 1.1 domain name, then all hell completely breaks loose and I have to completely reset the wordpress database.

I'm sorry, but WP Multi-Network v1.1 is so undocumented that JJJ should not steer people to use it and something should be written (which I am doing) on a public post, which states clearly the matters of affairs.

1) If you do not need multiple networks
2) and you want to use Wordpress 4.6
3) and you want to use Domain Mapping
4) on top of a Multisite network

then Yes! Apparently, this is possible with WPMUDEV's Domain Mapping plugin.
and Screw WP Multi Network v1.8.1 unless you need multiple networks.

So what is WPMUDEV's position on WP Multi Network v1.8.1 ?

F.

• Luís

Hi Francois ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Regarding to your questions:

Where can I find release notes and compatibility notices of your domain mapping plugin with the latest version of Wordpress ?

Our Domain Mapping plugin is compatible with the last version of WordPress (4.6). You can check this notes and the changelog, in the plugin's page:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

Hover over the icons close to the "Compatibility" and you will check the "Multisite 4.6".

Also, you can check the changelog, clicking in the item "Changelog".

So my question regarding WPMUDEV. Do you need to have WP Multi Network installed in order to have a functional Multisite with Domain Mapping ?

No, you don't need WP Multi Network. Honestly, I never used WP Multi Network, I done just some tests to see the compatibility.

I already have an WordPress Multisite installation with a mapped domain, and tested installed the plugin and check if it creates some issues with the mapped domains, but didn't found any. As I mentioned, I just made simple tests.

If you want just a functional WordPress Multisite with Domain Mapping, you don't need WP Multi Network.

But if you do have WP Multi Network installed as well as Multisite as well as WPMUDEV Domain Mapping, what is the role of the WP Multi Network inherent 'Domain Mapping'-to-network capability ?

Just to make sure, you want to map a domain to the network? Domain Mapping only allows to map domains to the subsites.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.