Multisite Analytics and Mapped domains - Does this work?

Hi team,

Just wanted to confirm that Multisite Analytics and Mapped domains work fine on a Multisite install with sub-directories.

I have done a quick search and am a little confused whether these two plugin work together.

Thanks for your help

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings redhillcreative,

Multisite Analytics works for subdomain or subdirectory type multi sites. So you can have sites like z.com/a, z.com/b, z.com/c or a.z.com, b.z.com, c.z.com

The problem about mapped domain networks is coming from the limitation of HTML about reading cookies cross-domain. You cannot read a cookie set by a.com from z.com, even if both of them are your websites. Actually this is a safety rule, rather than a limitation.

Therefore using Analytics in such networks requires special considerations and only this case (mapped domain networks) is not supported by Multisite Analytics at the moment.

There you have it.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Jamin
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

redhillcreative

I am in the same boat.

I am using domain mapping with analytics plugin.

I am using the analytics plugin normally with my own network wide tracking code, and my client whose site is domain mapped, is using his own code in the site.

I dont see any data from his site.

However I do see data as /store/ instead of storename/store/ which is strange.

• redhillcreative

@Jamin,

At this point, my network is very small, so I am not too worried about network-wide analytics.

I am mostly concerned that the sub-sites will not be able to use Analytics.

You mentioned that your client uses his own code. Is this just the code from the GA website, or some custom stuff? Very interested to know.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings redhillcreative,

Will Google Analytics work at all?
    If I simply pasted the analytics code into my footer.php, will Google pickup the data?
    Even though its on a mapped domain?

To the best of my knowledge absolutely it should work just fine.

And in the footer of your theme should work fine too and accurate as well.

Cheers, Joe

• redhillcreative

Ok,
    So I can confirm that GA will work fine on a multisite install with mapped domain domain if you simple paste the analytics code straight into the theme footer, including page views.

My theme has a place for this in the theme admin panel, and this has worked as well.

So for the time being the Multisite Analytics Plugin DOES NOT
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/not-tracking-page-views-or-average-time-on-site-for-mapped-domains?replies=26#post-244523

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.