Multisite and domain mapping confusion!

Full diclosure: I'm a complete newbie to multisite and domain mapping and not very tech-y at all!

Aim: To host and build a wordpress site for a friend

I already host my own domain (memmalomas.com) on GoDaddy (it's fairly new).
My friend asked if I could create a site for them. I said I would.
They own a domain but haven't got hosting.

I was hoping that with multisite, I could set up their site from the network dashboard and build it using a theme just like I would with my own site.

I wanted my friend to have their own login details for the site - although they won't use them because they want me to manage it for them.

I also wanted to use a sub domain of my own domain (memmalomas.com) but when visitors go to my friend's site- they would see friendsite.com not friendsite.memmalomas.com

Not sure if this is possible now - but when I was looking into everything I thought it was?

Anyway:
I've installed multisite.
I've installed domain mapping.
I've added a subdomain on Godaddy in the cpanel
I've added the subdomain on domain mapping
I chose the subdomain rather than subdirectories option when setting up domain mapping (I read afterwards that GoDaddy make this a pain in the *ss to use).

Yesterday it was saying that the website didn't exist - today it does exist but I can't access my network admin :slight_frown:

In short - I've clearly made a huge mistake - and I haven't got a clue how to fix it.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions that a 5 year old could follow?
Maybe a checklist to see if everything is in the right place...

Thanks in advance!

• Memma
    • New Recruit

Message that comes up when I try to do anything on my WP dashboard:

Warning: require_once(extra/wpmudev-dash-notification.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/memmalomas/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/domain-mapping.php on line 44

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'extra/wpmudev-dash-notification.php' (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/lib/php:disappointed:usr/local/lib/php') in /home/memmalomas/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/domain-mapping.php on line 44

• Ivan Shulev
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey Memma ,

Not to worry! We will find the problem, but first I would need some clarification.

Can you access the WP Admin at all or you get the error when you open the WP Dashboard?

Yesterday it was saying that the website didn't exist - today it does exist but I can't access my network admin

Is that for GoDaddy or your site?

Thank you and I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

• Memma
    • New Recruit

Sory for the late response. I ended up starting again.

Do I need multisite to build a site using a subdomain? And am I best to use sub directories instead of subdomains with GoDaddy?

I want to create a test site for my friend first, then host his domain name on Godaddy and then either move everything over to the main site or possibly just point the subdomain to his domain once I'm hosting it.

Not sure if this is possible or if I've got the wrong end of the stick :slight_frown:

• Luís
    • Support

Hi Memma ,

Hope you're doing well today!

You don't need to use "Multisite" to create a website in a subdomain, you can use a regular WordPress installation. However, to use Domain Mapping, Multisite is a requirement.

Are you still getting the erros mentioned above? Can you give us access to your admin panel, so we can check your issue?

If you don't already know, please, follow the link below, to see how enable the staff login:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

When you enable this option, please post again!

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.