Multisite and Domain Mapping plugin issue - Cant see the mapped site

Hi,
We have installed WPMU pluging on our site mlsdatatools.com. Which runs on a static ip (199.168.136.131). On this site we have two plugins 'Multi Site' & 'Domain Mapping'. We have done all the changes to the wp-config file and the .htaccess file.
We are able to add other sites (which are pointed to the same ip as parent site) but we dont see anything in the Domain Mapping plugin. The third tab under 'Domain Mapping' plugin does not show any site(s).
Can you please help us figuring out what could be wrong. We really need this site up and running.
Thank you

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Shawn,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly but it seems that you missed actual domain mapping step here. The Domain Mapping plugin will not automatically pick-up/map any domains added to your server/site and you'll want to manually go through mapping process.

Here's an example:

- the main domain is "main.com"
    - the sub-site is "sub.main.com"
    - the domain "to be mapped" is "mapped.org"
    - you wish "sub.main.com" to be available at "mapped.org"

in order to achieve this

- make sure that "mapped.org" points (via DNS A record) to your static IP and as a result when you type "mapped.org" into your browser bar the main site of your Multisite Network should be loaded (that one that's on "main.com":wink:

- once you confirmed this is working, go to the dashboard of "sub.main.com" and then
    - go to "Tools -> Domain Mapping" page
    - user a form there (see screenshot below) to add domain mapping

After this is done, the "sub.main.com" should become available at "mapped.org" domain as well.

Let me know if this helped or if you need any further assistance, please!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Shawn Whitaker

Hi Adam,
    Thank you for your quick reply. I do have some more questions for you. As you mentioned in your reply I have to create a sub-site. Now with define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false); set to false in the config fiile. I cannot create a sub-site like you mentioned.
    When do 'Add Sites' I get an option to create a site which is qualified with my root site, i.e. mlsdatatools.com/
    Can you please help me in first understanding how to create the sub-site, when the subdomain install is set to false. How can I create, xyz.mlsdatatools.com and then map it to xyz.com
    Thank you

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Shawn!

You cannot create sub-site like "xyz.mlsdatatools.com" while your WordPress Multisite is setup this way. The sub-site you create would be "mlsdatatools.com/xyz" and that is also fine.

Domain Mapping should handle this as well and all the steps I described in my previous post would be exactly the same in this case so please replace

"sub.main.com"

in my example guide with

"main.com/sub"

and you should be good to proceed :slight_smile:

Let me know in case you'd need any further help with this.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Shawn Whitaker

Hi Predrag,
    We have updated it 3 days back. I can also get a ping response from all the domains that I want to be mapped to my root domain.
    I have mapped my domains like this http://rootsite.com/subsite is mapped to subsite.com
    After the mapping, when I go to the 'Domain Mapping' tabs, I see the health status as invalid. Thats what is not allowing me to hit my subsite.com.

Can you please tell me what am I not doing right?
    Thank you

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Shawn,

Thanks for granting access!

I checked your site and it looks like these mapped domains not set up correctly.

Were these domains purchased from another provider than the server you're using or the same? If they were purchased from another provider their main DNSes are hosted on different servers. You don't even have to add these domains to your server as long as A record points to the proper IP.

Alternatively, you may go to your cPanel (if you're using cPanel) and adjust settings of these mapped domain: set their root folder to be exactly the same as the root folder for you main domain (the main domain of your MultiSite install).

I'd try with this second solution first and it shoud fix the issue. At this moment, it seems these domains have their own separate root folders set and this is "overtaking" Domain Mapping.

Let me know if it helped, please!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Shawn!

So if I have my root site installed in public_html, you want all the mapped domains to be pointed towards the same public_html folder?

Yes, exactly. Let me explain this a bit. The domain "traffic flow" goes basically like this:

call from user browser -> some DNS'es...... -> registrar DNS -> your server

This is directed by DNS system. When it reaches your server though things go a bit different way. To be handled by Domain Mapping this "call" has to reach your site first (your WP install) but before it does, it's first handled by the server. Server reads its local configuration for the domain and then throws all traffic to the root folder of the domain.

I hope that makes sense. The bottom line is that before you map the domain with Domain Mapping you need to be sure that the "domain to be mapped" is setup properly, meaning that it loads the main site of your Multisite WordPress.

That said, the answer to your question is yes: all the mapped domains should be pointed towards the same public_html folder that's assigned to your root site.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.