Multisite and Membership Plugins

Hello,

We are trying to build a SaaS solution on top of WordPress Multisite.
Our service consists on two main components: main application and a landing page builder.

Requirements
- Multi level membership subscription
- Customer can invite additional users (collaborators) to her subscription. These should not impact the subscription level (the number of users may be limited based on the subscription level)
- application and landingpages should run on a dedicated subdomain per account (e.g. account1.myapp.com)
- We would like to utilize additional WordPress plugins as part of the service such as BuddyPress so account users can collaborate. These plugins should be "private" per account, so one account users doesn't see activities of other accounts
- We will not expose WP admin to the subsites, but rather enforce a front-end theme with some admin functionality

Essentially each subsite is a tenant which represents a different account with a subscription level. The application pages are identical and authorization should be done based on the subscription level of the membership plugin. The landing pages created by the landing-page-builder should be public.

I have been testing protected content with WP multisite, but was unable to enforce it to automatically protect the subsites (for each subsite it requires to create new memberships)

Questions:
1. can we setup "protected content" so it automatically activated on all subsites and "protect" the application site-map based on the subscription level? if protected content does not support it, is there any other membership plugin which supports this scenario?

2. can we setup BuddyPress on each subsite so it is only shares information with the account users?

Thanks,
D.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Dev,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community and thank you for your questions.

1. can we setup "protected content" so it automatically activated on all subsites and "protect" the application site-map based on the subscription level? if protected content does not support it, is there any other membership plugin which supports this scenario?

You can network activate the "protected content" so that it will be automatically activated on all subsites.

Could you please tell me a bit more in detail what do you mean by application site-map and do you want to protect it based on the subscription level created on that sub site?

2. can we setup BuddyPress on each subsite so it is only shares information with the account users?

- We would like to utilize additional WordPress plugins as part of the service such as BuddyPress so account users can collaborate. These plugins should be "private" per account, so one account users doesn't see activities of other accounts

I am not sure i understood this properly as if we don't share activity of one user to another then what is the intention of using BuddyPress plugin as it's the community plugin to collaborate.

Do you mean sub site as account?

Please advise.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Dev

Hi Vinod,
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Basically we are looking at a typical multitenant architecture where each subsite represent a tenant and that all data is essentially virtually partitioned per tenant.

1. I have "Network Activated" Protected-Content however for each site I get the Protected-Content getting started.
    Assuming my web application has 3 application pages (page1, page2 and page3) which are available to all subscription levels and page4 which is only accessible to "platinum" members/accounts:
    - only authenticated account users can access page1, page2 and page3 of the tenant
    - page4 should only be accessible if the account is subscribed to the platinum level.
    - In addition each tenant should have public pages which are the landing pages: http://account1.myapp.com/landers/lp1, http://account1.myapp.com/landers/lp2

2. since each subsite is a tenant I would like the plugins data (such as BuddyPress) to only be shared with the tenant, so an account would only be able to see members of the account.

Many thanks,
    D.

• Ash

Hello @Dev

I hope you are well today.

You can try our New Blog Templates plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/

You need to create a subsite, and configure the subsite as you like it. Once you are done, then from Network Admin > Blog Templates you have to create a template using that subsite and make it default template.

Now once an user create a subsite, will get exact same as your template subsite. Please note that, if you make any changes in the template subsite, the changes won't take any effect on the already created subsites.

I am never tried BuddyPress in that way, but would you please give it a try?
    http://buddydev.com/plugins/buddypress-multi-network/

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.