Multisite and serving images from a subdomain

In order to decrease page load speed, wordpress can load images from another subdomain. I've found some plugins to restore the option to select a media location, and found manuals for how to move older images and update the database to point to the new location. However, all of them assume a single wordpress install. My question for you expert-type people is this: what is the best practice to implement loading images from a subdomain when I am already running multisite? Only images from the main site need to be loaded from the subdomain, as it receives over 90% of all traffic.
Thank you!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Lydia, hope you're doing well this evening! :slight_smile:

While setting up a subdomain to serve images from for a main site on a Multisite install is something I'd want to test more first (seeing as the instructions for a single site would most likely need to be adapted for use with Multisite), a different idea does come to mind for this case. That being to use the Photon module inside of the Jetpack plugin, as that would provide a CDN for your site's images to be stored on, thus helping with the speed issue.

http://jetpack.me/support/photon/

You could just enable the Jetpack plugin on the main site, it wouldn't need to be network activated.

How does that sound? :slight_smile:

Please advise,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Lydia, thanks for your patience! :slight_smile:

The impact of Jetpack would depend on what modules you have enabled, but for this particular situation, I've found that just having the Photon module has very little (if any) impact on load times.

Now, by default, there will be quite a few modules enabled inside of the plugin, once you've authorized access to your WordPress.com account (it'll ask for that once you've installed & activated it). But, if you go to:

Jetpack -> Settings

You can go ahead and disable all of the other modules there, and just keep Photon enabled. No configuration would be necessary for Photon, it'll work automatically with your images when viewing a page on the front end. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.