Multisite, BuddyPress and Special Requirements

Hi,

I need your help in order to find the best solution for this project.

I have a website with several authors/users, and they all published posts there. Let's call it as Main Site.

Now, I want to have a 2nd website that will be used as network, let's call it Secondary Site.

On the Secondary Site I pretend to use BuddyPress in order to create a network.

Now I want to present the Users of the Main Site, as well as their posts on the Secondary Website.

This why?

By the design I'm using the Devoe template in the Main Site and by it's features I want to use KLEO template on the network. And I need to find a easy way to integrate all this functionalities and have it working in a perfect way.

I can have multisite installed, different websites installations, ... I have no limitations regarding my hosting.

I really just need to listen from someone (a entire team in yours case) what is the best solution to accomplish my goals.

Thanks in advanced.

Regards,
Susana

• Susana

Hi Michael,

How are you?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, I would like to offer users the ability to create a blog, but only by request. I do not wish to have it on the form.

The truth is that I want to take my project a step ahead and I would like to create a website similar to Bloglovin.

Because of the design I'm using the DeVoe template, however I also have the template KLEO and I would like to use it on the "Network" page.

Ok, here if you see KLEO you'll see that it is integrated with Buddypress and offers a clean and beautiful design.

My idea is to use the potential of KLEO to present the users, as BuddyPress allows to present users posts.

So, I'll need to create a new field in to the registration form asking users to put their RSS link or blog link.

Be able to fetch users posts and present them in the user profile, and allow visitors to read the posts and navigate through the user blog without leaving my website.

Resuming:

- be able to use KLEO template in the "network" page inside my blog (I can have a multi-site installation);
    - present users posts under their profile, allow visitors to read users posts and blog without leaving my website (with a iframe or similar)
    - share users on both installations - main site and "network" site.
    - edit Buddypress registration form in order to request users website/RSS link (I have GravityForms if necessary).
    - allow users to create a blog under my website, only be request - not to be on the registration form.

I hope I had explained it in the best way and that you could understand what I need in order to help me.

Waiting for your feedback.

Thanks,
    Susana

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Susana,

You're welcome, and thanks, I'm doing well. :slight_smile:

I'm kinda following what you're saying, if I'm honest, but let's tackle this point first:

- share users on both installations - main site and "network" site.

Quick statement to avoid future confusion. With a WordPress site set up to be a Multisite, there's two types of sites:

#1: The main site, which would be the root of the install (e.g. example.com)
    #2: The subsite, which would be a site registered on the network (e.g. subsite.example.com, if a subdomain Multisite is set up; example.com/subsite, if a subdirectory Multisite is set up)

So let's take your mention of "main site" & "network site", and re-classify them as "single site install" & "Multisite network". :slight_smile:

allow users to create a blog under my website, only be request - not to be on the registration form.

When a WordPress site is set up as a Multisite, you can set it up so that only logged in users can create sites on the network, would that suffice? Or did "by request" mean something else?

A user would need to be inside of your Multisite network though, this wouldn't be created from your single site install.

- edit Buddypress registration form in order to request users website/RSS link (I have GravityForms if necessary).

BuddyPress does have the Extended Profiles module, which would allow you add in additional profile fields, so Gravity Forms wouldn't be required for this specific point.

I'm curious about these parts:

- be able to use KLEO template in the "network" page inside my blog (I can have a multi-site installation);

Not sure what this "network" page is referring to?

- present users posts under their profile, allow visitors to read users posts and blog without leaving my website (with a iframe or similar)

"my website" being the single site install, or your Multisite network?

Preliminarily speaking though... I'm really seeing this network as being just a single Multisite network, instead of trying to sync across two separate WordPress installs (syncing between your Multisite network & your single site install).

It's also seeming like something that you may wish to have one of our Pros design for you, since you wish to replicate the Bloglovin network:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Looking forward to your feedback! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.