Multisite but for blogs in different hosting?

Hello! I'm wondering if you might help me with a question I have. I would like to build a community/portal for my clients. They will all have their blogs on their own hosting but I would like to be able to have them add a plugin to their blogs that would give them special access to plugins and themes that would only be available to those who are our clients. Ideally, I would like them to have this access through their own blog dashboard - rather than having to log in to a different site. Is this possible to do, do you think? Would one of your plugins help with that?

Thank you!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Blogelina,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for the question!

So kind of like our WPMU DEV Dashboard but for your own site? We don't have a plugin for that as it's more of a custom job that would differ depending on each persons needs. Ours uses our API to connect with our server and check whether the uses has a valid api key and then serves up the files.

The best solution for this that I can think of that doesn't require custom development is using a multisite. Which I know isn't what you want in this case.

Another somewhat similar option is MainWP; however, that is more for you to manage all sites from one dashboard rather than allowing clients to access files: https://wordpress.org/plugins/mainwp/

With that said, I haven't used MainWP myself so they may have some add-ons available to get closer to what you're after. You might want to try contacting them :slight_smile:

If you do end up going with a multisite then I would recommend using our Pro Sites plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/

It will give you a lot more control over who can use certain plugins.

Hope that helps! If you have further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.