Multisite DB/Memory Issues

This is a small multisite, but it keeps having database issues and it is behaving like memory is being maxed out.

4 sites without any content.

PHPMyAdmin also can’t access DB.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Fabio Fava

Is it a VPS or Shared hosting? This usually happens when your memory limit is full.

If you are on a VPS, then you need to optimize your mysql server. Here are some tips:

https://www.percona.com/blog/2014/01/28/10-mysql-performance-tuning-settings-after-installation/

http://www.monitis.com/blog/101-tips-to-mysql-tuning-and-optimization/

You also need to increase swap memory. This is how you can increase swap in ubuntu: https://askubuntu.com/questions/178712/how-to-increase-swap-space

It varies from OS to OS.

If you are on shared hosting, then you need to ask your host why you are facing this. This is possible that the resources are very low as well as CPU usage is going high. This is a common problem in shared hosting when you have multiple sites on the same account. Your host should have logged the events that are running on the server. So they can find out which operation is taking too much resources. If you have cron job, then it may need higher memory.

Let us know how it goes. Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Hey Fabio Fava ,

There have been some memory issues with the containers and we have been refining our configurations to make them stable. Could you inform me when did you create this container? Just to see and inform our sysadmins to manually take a look on it’s configuration.

We have also made a full restart on your system so everything should be up and running, if not please do inform us so we can take a look and see what might be going wrong.

Regards,

Konstantinos

• Fabio Fava
    • WordPress DevOps

Hey Konstantinos Xenos thank you for the update!

I’ve created all my 3 containers on the very first day (or second), so they’re all probably with the “not that good” setup. Would you mind looking all the 3 for me? Please let me know when you’ll start, so I don’t touch anything during your audit.

At the Staging (AMAZING), we should be able to setup things like (even multiple as it is for the Live Site) domain names (I use to setup a sub-domain staging.mydomain.tld for each Staging Site I work on) and also we should be able to choose to delete the Staging copy when it’s not needed any longer. Cloudways Staging tab on their Application Admin Dashboard is pretty simple, easy and cool.

Cheers!

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

I’ve forwarded this to our Sysadmins to check all 3 of your containers but unfortunately I can’t have an ETA on it since we’re dealing with multiple things at once for the time being ( it’s the Beta stress :smiley: ). I don’t think that you’ll have any issues though if you continue working normally.

As for the translations that you mention, you’re talking about the WordPress admin itself ( i.e. a translation that should be handled by WordPress ) or are those on ‘your’ texts ( i.e. from Posts/Pages / Plugins etc ) that might be saved in the databases as well? Could we have a screenshot for example if it doesn’t contain any private data so I can have a clear understanding and take a look?

Regards,

Konstantinos

• Fabio Fava
      • WordPress DevOps

Thanks for your update Konstantinos Xenos !

No problem about ETA. When I wrote about the translations, I was referring to the translations in /wp-content/languages/plugins <– these are completely messed by WP after Staging, both on WPMU DEV and Cloudways.

But I’ll have to upload again the site from Local and I can’t do it before tomorrow or after (limited transfer data on mobile). I’m now trying to push from the Live to Test (hosted with WPMU DEV), but due to different Servers (Apache+Nginxs at Cloudways X Full Gninx at WPMU DEV) it doesn’t work quite well. I’ll try now with The Shipper b10.

Cheers

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Just for a quick update Fabio Fava , I’ve checked with Portugese and other languages that have non-latin ( extra ) characters as my admin language ( so all the .po / .mo ) files are automatically downloaded as well and installed Woo / bbPress and various other plugins that do have full translations and did some Staging resets and pushes to live without finding any problems.

All the .po/.mo files are transfered properly and their encoding is fine at least on my tests so my Admin is 100% identical.

I’m not really sure if I’m missing something else here though to be honest.

Regards,

Konstantinos

• Fabio Fava
      • WordPress DevOps

Thank you for your update Konstantinos Xenos !

Well, funny is that it has happened at least once. Unfortunatelly I’ve reset the DB and restarted that WP from the scratch. But for now, I cant import it from my main site (fabiofava.com) onto it (test.fabiofava.com) since The Shipper can’t (yet) manage from Apaxe/Nginx (Cloudways) to Full Nginx (WPMU DEV Hosting)…

Hope we can have it done soon! Cheers!

• Fabio Fava
    • WordPress DevOps

Just to updating: my WPMU DEV Host containers are is still failing. More on flynet.network and its child-sites (flynet.cloud, help.flynet.cloud, flynet.host, flynet.me) but also a little bit on federandall.com (and its child-site partoencasa.org).

My third container test.fabiofava.com I couldn’t yet succeed a migration with The Shipper from my Cloudways (Apache+Nginx) to my WPMU DEV Hosting (Nginx-only). I’m starting to think about using All-in-One WP Migration to do it “by hand”. But I would love The Shipper to be able to do it.

Could someone point me the Unix Command to copy one file to the current path to a remote server’s path (including username:password@server.tld and all that jazz)? Thank you in advance! Cheers!

• Konstantinos Xenos
    • Rubber Duck Debugger

Hey Fabio Fava , there are undergoing changes already regarding the MySQL issues that will be pushed today most probably. For Shipper, you can report any issues to the Shipper beta forums as that’s tracked individualy.

As for the copy command I think you’re after “scp” & “rsync”:

For a file from Local host to the Remote host

scp <file_path> <user>@<remote_host>:<remote_dir>

and for a file from Remote host to the Local host

scp <user>@<remote_host>:<remote_file_path> <local_dir>

You can also use “rsync” if you want full copy full directories:

Local to remote

rsync -avz <local_dir> <username>@<remote_host>:<remote_dir>

Remote to Local

rsync -avzh <username>@<remote_host>:<remote_dir> <local_dir>

Regards,

Konstantinos

• Fabio Fava
    • WordPress DevOps

Hey Konstantinos Xenos thank you for asking!

This morning I’ve received an e-mail from Incsub, that I got a new (upgraded I assume) container for that website, and I have to update my DNS Settings. All done, they’re reachable but I didn’t have time to play around enough and see if it will be freezing or not. I’ll keep you informed here as I have any news.

Thank you (all) again for the interest in making it work. Cheers!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.